Author Topic: Got my cartridge back from Soundsmith. Awesome!  (Read 3252 times)

Offline Shayne

• Double Secret Probation!
Got my cartridge back from Soundsmith. Awesome!
« on: November 20, 2012, 03:41:09 PM »
Got my Clearaudio Virtuoso Ebony back from Soundsmith yesterday. I went with the level two rebuild. Ruby cantilever and nude contact line stylus. It took 9 weeks from the day they received the cartridge. I mounted and set it up last night. Sounds ridiculous and hasn't even broken in. Extended bass and highs without harshness and the soundstage is huge.

Anyone else have any experience with Soundsmith? I'm gonna try to post a pic if I can get a camera that will zoom in enough to show the ruby cantilever.

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Got my cartridge back from Soundsmith. Awesome!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 06:12:02 PM »
Congrats, I have heard one Soundsmith and was very impressed.  It's all about the needle!

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 07:34:03 PM »
Shanye,

I am very pleased to hear your impressions about Soundsmith's work.  I am strongly considering have them re-tip my Denon 103R and upgrade to the ruby cantilever.  Congrats on this upgrade!
Carl

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 10:12:16 PM »
I have also been considering an upgrade/retip for my B&O MMC2.  Please keep the feedback coming
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Shayne

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 10:42:39 AM »
Got to listen some more last night. It's really impressive sounding.

I did some research on Soundsmith before sending my cartridge in for repair, and I learned that if you e-mail or call him it just creates more of a backlog. So, communication is nill! Follow the directions on the site to get an RMA number, mail your cartridge in and you'll get an automated confirmation of receipt and an estimate of the time.

9 weeks later I received a notice that it was done and a link to pay with Paypal or a number to call for phone payment. The cartridge arrived at my house three days later, beautifully packaged and secured in an acrylic box with detailed instructions on setup, care and cleaning. The letter suggested the use of "Blu tack" poster tack putty to dip the stylus into for quick cleaning and advised liquid cleaning only when absolutely necessary. Might give the Blu Tack a try.

I don't think you guys will be disappointed if you decide to have your cartridges rebuilt by Soundsmith.

Offline wkhanna

• Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 07:27:06 PM »
When I get my computer audio/server system completed, the next thing on my list is a Soundsmith SMMC 3 Moving Iron Coil cart for my TT.
I have only heard good things about their product.
Patience is required, but the results are well worth the wait.
V happy to hear you are pleased.
....just an "ON" switch, Please!

Offline Zoot Horn

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 09:13:57 AM »
I had my Dynavector 20XL re-tipped by SS  about 8 months ago--I too went with the ruby cantilever and I was pleasantly surprised--quality workmanship from these folks.I would not hesitate to deal with them again.