Author Topic: Cassette Tapes...  (Read 2136 times)

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
Cassette Tapes...
« on: November 28, 2012, 02:06:43 PM »
I have a few hundred used (& some new sealed) cassette tapes...  Such as TDK SA's, Maxell XL-II's, Sony UX-ES's, etc.  Since companies are NOT making cassette tapes anymore, do you think it is a good idea to hold on to them?  The RTR market tapes have become very lucrative on epay!   :o  Will cassette tapes follow?

I talked to Tom at the shop and he said he would gladly take some...   ;)

What are all of you doing with cassettes or have done with them?

TIA,
George
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
Re: Cassette Tapes...
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 02:58:44 PM »
I'm in the market for high bias type II blank tapes... If you are selling, what's your price?
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 04:09:27 PM »
Ed,
I'm still not sure WHAT I am going to do with the tapes...  But if I decide to sell, I'll let you know...  Did you only want the new/sealed ones?  If so, I'm am planning to KEEP those for the near future, as that is only about 30-40 cassette tapes...

If you are interested in the used ones, Feel free to PM me with about how many used ones you want/need and a fair price each or price for the lot...

When I get time & I decide to definitely sell...  :o  I'll try to list the brand/type/length/quantity of each type of cassette tape I have...

Thanks for the interest...
George
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 04:26:14 PM »
I'm looking for any that are unused. It doesn't matter to me if they are open, as long as they haven't been recorded on. I understand you hanging onto the sealed ones... especially if they aren't being manufactured anymore!
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 11:51:28 AM »
I have a decent Carver cassette player and I must admit it sounds like pure crap compared to a cd or vinyl. I also have a 8 track tape player/recorder that is not for sale, but provides the same degree of audio bliss... 8)
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 08:33:34 AM »
I got rid of most of my cassette recordings, but am keeping the factory tapes and all sealed blanks.  I have been to a number of estate sales, garage sales, antique stores, etc and used cassettes, even sealed and unrecorded just don't have any value.  I am doubtful about the future value as well.  Cassettes just don't have the "cool" factor of vinyl, or RTR tapes, IMO.  Many of them don't sound very good either; being either poorly recorded, or just plain worn out after years of bouncing around in very hot or cold car interiors.

While I continue to record on RTR (and CD), I have not recorded a cassette since no longer having a player in my car.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 09:17:04 AM »
The sound is not even close to vinyl,  but some pre-recorded cassettes can sound very good,  and I enjoy searching for those at the Goodwill stores.  I like Brazilian music that for some reason is not easily available in digital but am able to get in cassette. 

[though right now I am suffering from lack of access to my office and sound system, so my listening is limited to cans... the grand plan to move to a place where I could have a larger listening room is nice,  but in the interim there is chaos everywhere as prepping for packing progresses  >:(]