Author Topic: Great article on digital audio!  (Read 1595 times)

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Great article on digital audio!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 04:53:45 PM »
He probably thinks that CDs sound better than records too.   We all know that the sampling rate has effect on the frequency response and that we can't hear above how ever many kHz (about 15 for me).   However, there are lots of folks who claim to hear a real difference by the audible frequencies being captured at the greater detail which HiRes offers (I seldom can tell a difference).   He also talks about "distortions" in a purely negative fashion.   We have known for decades that it is "distortions" which give tubes that much sought after sound.

I wish the author had addressed real world listening instead of just giving us obvious platitutes.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 04:58:39 PM »
BTW, I also found it funny that he didn't address 24/96 (widely accepted as the default for DVD-A).   I found it even more incredible that he didn't compare HiRes to MP3 or AAC, which are the formats Mr Young is trying to one-up with his media player.   Seems like all that guy is trying to do is prove why CD quality is best.   Since there is only a first name given on the article I am tempted to wonder if it wasn't written by one of the originators of the Redbook standard.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 05:00:46 PM »
Happy Holidays Ron.   Don't take my issues with the article as a shot at you, I promise they aren't (unless you wrote it, then maybe we should talk).

Anders

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 11:17:39 AM »
There is a video on youtube where recording engineers talk about the state of todays digital audio and they all agree that the red book standard is not good and that SACD is better.

I have a recording on LP and CD and the CD is so bad it sounds like a different performance !
These are both Telarcs made from the same 50k sampled master tape.

Why is it whenever I hear distortion on an LP the CD version sounds even more distorted ?

Neil Young hated digital audio.