Author Topic: Cerwin Vega D9's  (Read 4033 times)

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
Cerwin Vega D9's
« on: May 08, 2013, 03:25:34 PM »
Hey guys,

Just joined the forum.  I basically listen to hard rock/punk rock music.  Music that has a lotta bass response, but at the same time has a lot of small nuance changes that require speaker clarity to pick up.  I have a Sony STR-6200F, and purchased a pair of EPI M-201's off of one of the regulars down at Vintage HiFi of PGH a year or two ago.  They have a lot of clarity (mids & highs) in my opinion, but they also start to break up when pushed hard (which i tend to do).  I'v been thinking about changing speakers, and after reading a lot about these Cerwin Vega D9's, they seem to fit the style of music I listen to a little better than my EPI's.  Am I right in assuming that?  Can anyone give me some more info on the D9's?? I'd like to have something I can push a little harder, but I don't wanna lose clarity, ya know?  Anyway, does anyone have any D9's I could demo, and possible would like to sell/trade?  Thanks a lot

SunnyDaze

Re: Cerwin Vega D9's
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 03:42:13 PM »
Before you settle on CV's, what's your budget?

Offline thuffman03

• Zen Master
  • CarverFest Evictee
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 03:47:48 PM »
Yes, budget first.  Because, you might be able to get into a set of Carver ribbon speakers.  They are very clear on both the high and low end, can take lots of watts and can get really, really loud.
Got Carver?

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 03:56:33 PM »
I happen to know someone who will have a pair of Carver ALIII speakers for sale very soon  ;)
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 04:01:05 PM »
My budget it not very high.  I was hoping to trade or sell my current EPI's and throw down a little exta cash to get a better speaker (for my taste in music).  I really dont know what my speakers are work, im thinking between 150-200?? Anyone know what speakers are good high energy rock (besides D9s), but also pair well with my amp(sony STR-6200f)?  Random observation..It seems like the cabs for speakers were crappier in the 80s, compared to the 70s speakers.  I am not really interested in modern speakers.  I'd like something era-correct for my amp, but that can really push some air, while retaining clarity for under 300.  Is that possible?

SunnyDaze

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 04:16:04 PM »
Paradigm SE MKII or III's. the 9 or 11 SE's will blow your pants off and embarrass the D9's in terms of sonic quality.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 04:41:05 PM »
I think bang for buck, you are going to get the most out of 80s era Polk.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

bmwr75

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 06:49:25 PM »
I got a bunch of speakers that need to be sold.  But none have the bass a set of D9s will have.  You are going to need some decently efficient speakers (say 93 dB or higher) to meet your listening needs with the Sony amp you have.

bmwr75

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 06:54:04 PM »
Oh, and I sold a pair of nice D7s a few years ago for just $125.  The guy that bought them kindly informed me he would have paid twice that for them.  Didn't do my research on going prices before I listed them.   :o

Offline hewlew1

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 05:09:44 PM »
I like my D9's all 8 of them, As well as 4 DX9's and 2 AT 15's. Actually I plan on bringing either 4 D9's or 4 DX9's to Carverfest this year along with a bunch of other stuff . ;D