Audio Discussion > TUBES TUBES TUBES

My first Stromberg-Carlson

<< < (6/7) > >>

Resident:
Congrats Stal thats  some clean good looking tubage you have there. 

bmwr75:
Hey Mark,

I think both power supply and coupling caps are important.  Which is more important?..........don't get me started lying.  I do both on all original tube amps from the 1960s and earlier.

Regards,
Scott

Sir Thrift-a-Lot:

--- Quote from: bmwr75 on June 24, 2015, 07:04:27 PM ---....don't get me started lying. 

--- End quote ---

I don't get it.   All I was asking is if a coupling cap failure will damage associated components.   I understand about sound quality and know that can be controversial, but that isn't the question I was asking.

You know so very much more than me and have been exceedingly generous.   I wouldn't deliberately put you in a bad spot.

Sir Thrift-a-Lot:
Okay, I resoldered the inputs and had two sessions each over an hour tonight with no issues.   Seems it was as simple as dropping a ground at the input.   The first session I had with my phone, then later I put in my Pas3 pre.   It turns out that the bass heavy voicing is my stupid phone, not the amp.   They must do it that way for the earbud crowd.   It also turns out that 80s Sony CD player into Pas3 into SC 6V6 into B&Ws is a very pleasant combination.

I do, however, need some engineering help with one issue.   The SC console was an entirely passive pre, so the inputs are quite hot.   It was literally a 1/4" turn of the volume control to get from silent to a comfortable listening level, then another 1/4" to get to "blow your face off".

What, if anything, should I do to get this amp to a more standard input level?   TIA.

bmwr75:
The simplest fix is to use some RCA line level attenuators like these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006N41B0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

If that link doesn't work, Google "Harrison Labs 12 dB RCA Line Level Attenuator Pair".

What are the driver tubes in the amp (e.g. the small signal tubes)?  If they are a 12AX7, trying a lower gain substitute might do the trick.  You can read about that here:  http://www.thetubestore.com/Gain-Factor

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version