Audio Discussion > TUBES TUBES TUBES

My first Stromberg-Carlson

<< < (2/7) > >>

schwarcw:
Congrats!  Very nice looking amp!  I can't see the number on the power tubes?  They look like RCA black bases that have been rebranded.

Sir Thrift-a-Lot:
The output tubes are Stromberg-Carlson 7408 (same as 6V6).   I figure this amp for about 15 clean watts per channel.

Sir Thrift-a-Lot:
Am I correct that the only cap I need to replace is the can cap?   Everything else looks like either ceramic or mica.   I have read that those don't need replaced unless there is a specific failure.

Could it be this easy?

SunnyDaze:
I'd replace the coupling caps too, same value, just, with films.

Great find! Sounds like you and I both have more tube projects in the works than we have time for! I'm sure you'll do it justice! Please keep us all posted!

You'd probably have to bias them a little hot to get 15W out of PP 6V6's. 10-12 is more realistic, depending on what Stromburg has them set to run and how far certain resistors have drifted. :)

SunnyDaze:
As far as sheet metal, what are you looking to have done? I know folks who do that sort of thing. That's the hold up on my SE Maggotbox amp. I'm waiting on the powder coat guy to do the chassis.

I'm also trying to get a cage / cover type thing built for the OT's on that amp. There's not enough room for proper bell ends or transformer covers. I have some DIY ideas I'd love to discuss with you, but, I'm far from a metal wiz.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version