Audio Discussion > TUBES TUBES TUBES

Fosgate Signature Phono preamp

(1/4) > >>

Magnaryder:

Specifications:
Gain: 42.5dB MM, 60.5dB MC
Resistive Loading: 100Ω, 300Ω, 500Ω, 1kΩ, 47kΩ, 100kΩ (Selectable)
Tube compliment:
2 - 6DJ8
2 - 12AX7
2 - 12AT7
1 - 12X4
Dimensions:13 3/16" W x 10 3/4" D x 5 5/8" H

Associated Equipment:

Ariston RD-40/Linn Basik LSV tonearn/Stanton RS500DJ cartridge/Cardas Silver wire service to Cardas wire block.
CarverAudio Interconnects
Fosgate Signature Phono Preamp
E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier
Audio Note AN-9 speakers cables
Dahlquist DQ-8/Alesis Monitor One Loudspeakers

Considerations:
Room 24 1/2 X 16ft, ceiling is a bit over 7ft/no room treatments
bookcases behind and beside loudspeakers, carpeted floor/drapes

Observations:

Like the EAR V20, the Fosgate Signature is a feast for the eyes. Blue LEDs that match the power lamp light under the front 3 tubes when the tubes reach operating temp and voltage has stabilized. A pair of small switches on the top panel control the selection of Cartridge type(MM/MC) and a rotating selector on the rear panel allows control over resistive cartridge loading. The build quality is excellent!

The tubes complement is
2 - 6DJ8
2 - 12AX7
2 - 12AT7
1 - 12X4

I've installed a very nice 6X4 George Daniel sent me, a pair of DPS(Tim deParavicini) EI 7DJ8s, Telefunken 12AX7s and some JAN 12AT7s the PO sent along with the unit. The first day of listening went OK, but as I listened longer I noticed the music sounded a little flat. Now nothing is more disconcerting than paying big bucks for something and having it sound like ass. I played around with cartridge loading and gain setting which yielded a small gain in dynamics and resolution but not at all what I was hoping for. It was then my Shure cartridge took a powder. I replaced it with the Stanton RS500DJ and pressed on with my listening. I wonder if the Stanton is 'voiced' for DJ work. It has suspiciously good tonal balance, the kind I like. Makes me wonder if the frequency balance has been messed with. We'll see when I get a new cartridge.

The cartridge change made all the difference, dynamics and bloom were back!! Hot DAMN!!!! Comparing this to the Sunfire VTCC that it replaced brought some things into bold relief. The VTCC has a very good phono section. If you have one keep it and roll some great tubes in it.

That said, as it sits right now the Fosgate/Ariston is the best front end I've had in my system, even running a $50 cart. I put on FleetwoodMac's Rumour's, Mick's drums were 5ft wide as I mentioned before, but as he went from drums to cymbals there was a change in percieved elevation of at least a foot/freeking amazing. It was east placing Stevie, Christine and Lindsey. Next, I played a copy of Boston's Walk-On LP. Tom Sholtz has said he is very proud of this LP. Analogue processes were used throughout it's recording. Nothing digital! Ribbon mikes, a tube board, Tim deParavicini RTRs and cutting heads. Playing it back through the Fosgate was nothing short of incredible. The bloom!!!! WOW!! I can almost taste the mid-range.

I'm a huge fan of TheChairman. No one phrases a song like Francis, no one. I have a favorite of his on 'September of my Years' . It starts out with the words, "when I was seventeen' as that played it was almost like he was there in the room with us. I saw Frank at the Sands several times in the 70s, this recording took me back to those shows. I can hear the room it was recorded in, someone putting out a cigarette in an ash tray/ guitars picked with fingers/no picks. A muted 'Bone played sliding the mute around the end of the bell.

I'm also a huge fan of Edward Van Halen. I put on my rarely played copy of 'Balance' I was curious to see what I could hear of the hammer runs in the beginning of 'Big Fat Money'. Again, I am wowed! The Fosgate Signature pulls all of this unheard until now detail out of the recordings but never does it get harsh or unforgiving. My litmus test is Grand Funk Railroad's ' We're an American Band', most of this album sounds like ass. It's easy to spot it was recorded by different people in different places using different recording techniques. IT SUCKS!!!! as a recording. All in all, not too bad...now. I can enjoy it again. 'Bout time!

I'll post more later after I get a suitable cartridge, but if this is any indication of what I can expect...I can't wait.

I need better speaks and a better cart, although it's easy enough to see how good a bit of gear the Fosgate is. It remains very engaging, doesn't grate on my ears and creates a very believable soundscape. Between the Fosgate and the V20 the bar in my rig has been raised...really high. Now to find some affordable pieces to match.

ray

Reverend:
Very cool Ray, great review.  I hope you're bringing this stuff down to CF this year.  I'd love to hear it.

Dicky:
Not only all that, but it looks good too.

schwarcw:
I love the look!  Great review!  I want one but it looks a little pricey.

schwarcw:
Ray,

It looks like the phono preamp has step up transformers.  Can you confirm?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version