Author Topic: Hey Tape Deek...  (Read 1435 times)

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!

bearjew

Re: Hey Tape Deek...
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 07:29:13 AM »
when i first posted this in the shoutbox, i thought it was brilliant.  as i think about it though, it seems less and less functional.  it just doesn't seem like a good method for mass storage.  it'll just be a slower version of a regular hard drive.  i realize the amount of storage is astronomical, but i don't think people want to spend that much time saving stuff.

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
  • Receiving Aural Pleasure....
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 08:11:33 AM »
Agreed, BJ.  I think the linear nature of the medium will be a big issue, especially to find the 'needle in the haystack'.  It really sounds like a case of trying to do with a tape that which digital does vastly better.  I'll betcha the new 'deeks' for that tech would be astromically expensive as well.
preamp: BAT VK-5
amp: Altec 944sa
DAC:  Bel Canto 2.5
CDP: Pioneer Elite DV-47a
Intel NUC server / iFi micro iUSB3.0 / Roon
Spendor FL9

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 10:09:54 AM »
Interesting to learn that there are engineers out there trying to figure out a way to get more data onto magnetic tape (and that a Magnetics Conference is held annually).  It could be a useful technology for archival use cases, where the data is not needed frequently;  but it feels awful fragile.  Humidity, magnetic fields,  etc.  could affect the 3700 blue rays worth of data in the blink of an eye.   

Mondays suck.