Author Topic: headphone comparison  (Read 1602 times)

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
  • Ready For Intervention!
headphone comparison
« on: May 28, 2014, 01:51:53 PM »
Circumstances dictate that I listen more and more with headphones.  Right now I'm using my Sennheiser HD-360 pro powered by my Schiit Valhalla tube headphone amp.  I'm pretty pleased with this combination but the vinyl ear pads like most headphones do get warm.

looking for headphones with following attributes:
1. velour earpads for comfort
2. around ear pads...on ear not comfortable for me
3. decent bass but not obtrusive
4. I listen mostly jazz, classical, and classic rock (we just called it rock when I was young)
5. comfortable for extending listening

I will be powering them with a Schiit Valhalla tube headphone amp.

I'm considering Byerdynamic DT-990 pro 250 ($151 Amazon free shipping)
    or  Sennheiser HD598  ($212 Amazon free shipping)

Anybody have an opportunity to compare both?

From reading I have done it seems HD598 might fit my genres and personal preferences better.

Suggestions?

bmwr75

Re: headphone comparison
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 08:39:24 PM »
I find the Beyerdynamic DT series of headphones very comfortable and I think they sound great too.  Cannot comment on the Senns since I've never heard them, but I've read they are very comfortable too.

Offline treos33

• Double Secret Probation!
Re: headphone comparison
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 10:59:49 PM »
I use the dt-770 pro (250-ohm) at work for 6-8 per day. Very comfy. They feel quite airy and have impressive imaging for sealed cans.

I'v heard that the 880s (partially sealed) are the most neutral of the family while the 990s (fully open) get into bass-head territory.

Not sure if you've seen this but this buying guide has always been very helpful for me:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

If you are looking for an open design I would also add the AKG Q701 to your list.
Desk:
ObjectiveDAC, Technics SL-1500 w/ Grado Black Cart -> NAD 1000 pre -> Emotiva Airmotiv 4
Bedroom:
Creek 4330R -> DefTech StudioMonitor 450
Home Theater:
Onkyo TX-NR809, Rotel RB-981 -> Boston Acoustics VR-40, VR-12 Center, Soundware surrounds, Velodyne VRP-1200