Author Topic: Are my mono amps using a common ground?  (Read 4416 times)

Offline ataudio

• Double Secret Probation!
Re: Are my mono amps using a common ground?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 02:26:35 AM »
Congrats on the new Polks.  As F1 stated bridged amps don't like low impedance speakers.  I suspect your new found passion
comes from 2 things.  Of course the Polks.  And you've finally unbridged the Crowns.  You probably don't remember but in one of your other
posts I commented on how most bridged amps just don't around as good....and I speak from my own personal observations too.
Every amp that I've ever bridged (not that I've owned that many, but a fair amount) just didn't sound as good.  You have plenty of power in stereo mode.  BTW....I love Crown as well.  One of the few pro audio amps that does sound really nice. The JBL 62xx series was also a great
Set of pro amps.  Endless headroom, solid bass, and just plain musical.  And...if you unbridged your other Crowns you can assemble even more systems!  Can't have enough systems running.!

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2014, 02:49:41 AM »
Some of Crown's stuff is a bit ragged, but 400s are really nice sounding amps.   Have you heard them?

To the best of my gray cells, no. Judging from the ones that I have heard I've had no desire to hear another one. That said, I suppose every dog has his day.  8)
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline GraphicFX

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 10:22:22 AM »
Congrats on the new Polks.  As F1 stated bridged amps don't like low impedance speakers.  I suspect your new found passion
comes from 2 things.  Of course the Polks.  And you've finally unbridged the Crowns.  You probably don't remember but in one of your other
posts I commented on how most bridged amps just don't around as good....and I speak from my own personal observations too.
Every amp that I've ever bridged (not that I've owned that many, but a fair amount) just didn't sound as good.  You have plenty of power in stereo mode.  BTW....I love Crown as well.  One of the few pro audio amps that does sound really nice. The JBL 62xx series was also a great
Set of pro amps.  Endless headroom, solid bass, and just plain musical.  And...if you unbridged your other Crowns you can assemble even more systems!  Can't have enough systems running.!

The PS-400 does sound better in stereo. So what to do with the spare amp? It will be doing duty driving my bedroom mains. (Optimus pro LX5's (linaeum tweets) replacing the PS-200, which will now be handling bedroom surround duty via a Hafler circuit, feeding Boston T930's  I know my mains and surrounds should be reversed, but the T930's make great end tables beside my bed.
Main system
Pre-amp: Adcom GTP-350
Main Amplification: Crown PS-400
Surround Amplification: Crown PS-400
Mains: Polk SDA-2B Studio
Rear fill: Polk RTA-12
Subs: (3) Velodyne F1200b

Offline AdamG

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2014, 01:20:13 PM »
I really enjoyed my venture into the SDA series, I had the SDA-1 the original modal. Really loved the SDA effect! I was only running 65wpc into them, but they were more than enough for me!

Just a bit big for my room, otherwise I'd still have them.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2014, 05:38:29 PM »
So what to do with the spare amp?

Sell it along with the one that is currently hooked up and go for an upgrade!

Offline ataudio

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2014, 10:07:07 PM »
Just enjoy your new setup for a while.  If you feel you need an upgrade you'll know it.  If the music still moves you and you're still taping your foot to good tunes just enjoy it.   I think you'll be just fine with the Crown. 

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2014, 01:28:39 PM »
So what to do with the spare amp?

Put another system together for your garage or bedroom! O0
Carl