Author Topic: GE Speaker Cabinets  (Read 3960 times)

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
GE Speaker Cabinets
« on: July 17, 2014, 08:07:19 AM »
Did some research on the speaker cabinets from Beaver.  They seem to be some edition of the A1-406 model.   They have GE 1201A speakers.  There are some chips in the wood and the front of one of the speakers has a small tear in the fabric.  I had them connected in the garage last night and they sound very clean and load.  Now I need to figure out where they would look and sound best. 
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
Re: GE Speaker Cabinets
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 08:21:44 AM »
Also, sad to report, I went through the vinyl and continued to find mostly stuff that is in less than average condition.  The copy of "Hey Jude' has a chip the size of a dime on the edge.  Several LPs appears to have paint spackling on them.  Many of the LPs I would be interested in keeping had no paper sleeve in them, so they had the expected scratches and dirt on them. 

Guess I will be hauling most of these down to Jerrys but not sure even he will want most of them. 
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 08:49:33 AM »
Those speakers are meant to be corner loaded, like K-Horns.   Don't judge them until you position them properly.

The "paint spackling" looking stuff, in my experience, comes off very easily.   I use a label protector, a spray on cleaner and a paint brush.   I spray the cleaner, let it sit for a couple minutes, then brush in the direction of the grooves.   Follow with a generous sink rinse and dry with a paper towel (or chamois if you prefer).   I had a copy of "Live Stiffs" which went from unplayable to perfect after cleaning.   Actually, it is hard to over estimate the importance of cleaning with collecting used records.

The Attic in Millvale sells paper sleeves (and plastic outer sleeves for that matter) for a dime each.   Good quality, cheaper than the internet and it supports a local business.   I try to always keep extras on hand.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 08:51:19 AM »
I'm showing some of my gear on Saturday morning.   If you want, bring a few records by and I'll show you my cleaning system.   PM me if you are interested.

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 12:50:31 PM »
Those speakers are meant to be corner loaded, like K-Horns.   Don't judge them until you position them properly.
=====
Yes,  I though about that and the only place im my house that has two open corners is the main bedroom after I remove the Vandersteens that are currently there.   Of course, the bed is in the middle of the room.  At least the Vandersteens are taller, so most of the sound does not go directly into the mattress.    But what are you going to do?
==========

The "paint spackling" looking stuff, in my experience, comes off very easily.   I use a label protector, a spray on cleaner and a paint brush.   I spray the cleaner, let it sit for a couple minutes, then brush in the direction of the grooves.   Follow with a generous sink rinse and dry with a paper towel (or chamois if you prefer).   I had a copy of "Live Stiffs" which went from unplayable to perfect after cleaning.   Actually, it is hard to over estimate the importance of cleaning with collecting used records.

I will probably be buying one of those record cleaners from Tom.  Even then,  I wont spend time cleaning Ray Conniff, Mitch Miller and assorted Christmas records (unless there are by Phil Spector). 
The other odd thing about this collection, apart from the dismal condition of the sleeves and vinyl, is that there are several copies of the same LPs.  Two copies of some Donovan LP on (maybe) Nashville Records (I am going by memory here)  two copies of some big band Ray Anthony music, just a real mish mash. 
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 01:20:39 PM »
The speaker looks like it was meant to be an optional add on speaker to a console unit??  Purely speculation on my part.
Carl

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 02:15:07 PM »
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 10:05:37 PM »
I love some of those vintage advertisements!
Carl

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 11:12:00 PM »
I dig Donovan

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 08:06:51 AM »
If I can swing by Saturday morning,  I will bring some vinyl, including two Donovans.
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 08:40:20 AM »
Wow-per the advertisement, wide range was 50 to 13,000 khz.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 10:33:08 AM »
Yes,  they have a very 'open' and clean sound to them, even though they are not 'corner-loaded'.  I presume that I should be careful not to use to much power on these.  I currently have them hooked up to a Pioneer 780 (45WPC)  and
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers