Author Topic: Interesting article - "24-bit Audio Has More Resolution Than 16-bit Audio"  (Read 8101 times)

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
After reading those links, I presume you did, that's all you can come up with!?!

Just so you know, the gentleman starting those threads is an EE with 2 doctorates, owns a consultant business in the telecommunications industry and is a professor. He is also published in the field of stereo sound reproduction.

I care what I can and can't hear.   If I can't hear a difference, there isn't one (for me).   

Do you come to your conclusions by conducting a DBT?
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
I come to my conclusions by listening.   It's a skill that surprisingly not many have.

Offline MacGeek

I am not an engineer, nor an academic, and don't understand how any combination of amps/speakers can be tested or compared when any given amp/speaker combination might sound different due to the impact of speaker impedance on the amps performance.

I particularly enjoyed the following..."It is a shame that Mr. Nousaine and some others view the pursuit of stereophonic audio (stereophony) as some sort of contest to be won rather than an attempt to recreate a realistic reproduction of the live concert experience in the listener's home."

I do know when I listen to something that makes me feel better than my own gear (that goosebump sensation).  When that happens, I am usually motivated to upgrade (budget permitting).
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

bearjew

Um... what's DBT?

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

I am not an engineer, nor an academic, and don't understand how any combination of amps/speakers can be tested or compared when any given amp/speaker combination might sound different due to the impact of speaker impedance on the amps performance.

I particularly enjoyed the following..."It is a shame that Mr. Nousaine and some others view the pursuit of stereophonic audio (stereophony) as some sort of contest to be won rather than an attempt to recreate a realistic reproduction of the live concert experience in the listener's home."

I do know when I listen to something that makes me feel better than my own gear (that goosebump sensation).  When that happens, I am usually motivated to upgrade (budget permitting).

Precisely.   Trust your ears, it only matters how a system sounds to you.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

Um... what's DBT?

DBT = Double Blind Test.   Listening to gear without knowing what you are listening to.   High end manufacturers fear it because it has far more power to dissuade someone from a purchase than it does to persuade them.

FWIW, I don't rule out ascetics as an important factor in purchasing decisions.   If the way something looks is important to someone, then they should certainly buy gear that looks good to them.   I just think it is vital for people to understand that their perceptions of a piece of gear are influenced by their eyes and their expectations sometimes much more than they are by their ears.   

I was VERY impressed when OBG posted here that the Focusrite I recommended to him did sound better than the $1000 DAC he had been using.   Many people can only hear dollar signs.   I encourage people to take the time to learn to listen.

I am currently recapping a plate amp with gold colored Nichicon caps.   My wife commented on how much "prettier" the gold caps are than the black ones.   Will the recap improve the sound?   I don't know, I'm doing it mainly for purposes of longevity (and practice).   Will the amp sound better to her?   I suspect it will.   Perception is powerful.

bearjew

i don't understand why everyone posts these long comments, but still abbreviates everything they can...

regardless...

the whole "DBT" concept works in the way that you can pick out gear that sounds good to you, but let us not forget things like the Carver challenge, which was more or less based on the results of putting a bunch of scopes on the gear.  it wasn't until AFTER that, that they did a "DBT".  Speaking strictly as a professional, I would rather disregard a "DBT" and use equipment that specs out well on an audio precision unit.  Flat and clear is more important in pro audio.

as for looks...  yeah, it's nice to have nice looking things.

I won't buy Focusrite; everything I have ever heard by them (which has all been pro gear) has sounded very british.  there always seems to be something in their circuits boosting mids.

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
I come to my conclusions by listening.   It's a skill that surprisingly not many have.

So, no DBT. I see, said the blind man.
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
If days or weeks of critical listening are required to make a determination of which piece of gear sounds better, the difference must be very minor. Would you spend an extra 10 grand, 1 grand, or even a hundred bucks for that upgrade? I guess it depends on your disposable income?
Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

I keep asking you for a better alternative, you keep dodging the question.   At least BJ suggested measurement tools.   I agree with him that specs are one very useful tool.   My only problem with specs is that it is hard to say at exactly what threshold the specs are and aren't audible.   That brings us back again to... listening.

Again, people who sell gear but are afraid to listen to it are usually the ones doing a reach around for your wallet (perhaps not coincidentally, they are also often the ones who won't post specs).

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

If days or weeks of critical listening are required to make a determination of which piece of gear sounds better, the difference must be very minor. Would you spend an extra 10 grand, 1 grand, or even a hundred bucks for that upgrade? I guess it depends on your disposable income?

Another voice of reason joins the fray.   Not surprisingly, Ron has the "best sounding" setup I have heard.

Offline Reverend

I stand by the Roy Cizek method.  It has always served me well.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

I know he made speakers, but I don't know anything about his method.

bmwr75

I believe you'll find the answer to your question in the links I provided.

Let me ask you one from the Robert Harley comments. Do you believe a test that results in a pair of Futterman OTL tube amplifiers and a Japanese receiver being sonically identical even remotely close to valid?

F1Nut, if you have an opinion why not express it rather than being vague and referring others to links so they can study up on it for themselves.

Offline GraphicFX

• Double Secret Probation!
My 2 cents worth.
Some people swear by Cerwin Vegas. Why?  I have no idea. Perhaps they are neanderthals. But even neanderthals have a likes and dislikes.

I have been an advocate of 901's and still believe they have their strong points. so......

The bottom line, If it sounds good to you, then it is good for you.

My 2 cents.... for what it's worth.
Andrew
Main system
Pre-amp: Adcom GTP-350
Main Amplification: Crown PS-400
Surround Amplification: Crown PS-400
Mains: Polk SDA-2B Studio
Rear fill: Polk RTA-12
Subs: (3) Velodyne F1200b