Author Topic: Interesting article - "24-bit Audio Has More Resolution Than 16-bit Audio"  (Read 8097 times)

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
I believe you'll find the answer to your question in the links I provided.

Let me ask you one from the Robert Harley comments. Do you believe a test that results in a pair of Futterman OTL tube amplifiers and a Japanese receiver being sonically identical even remotely close to valid?

F1Nut, if you have an opinion why not express it rather than being vague and referring others to links so they can study up on it for themselves.

Based on that quote and other exchanges, it seems that F1 is much better at asking direct questions than he is at answering direct questions.

Offline GraphicFX

• Double Secret Probation!
Based on that quote and other exchanges, it seems that F1 is much better at asking direct questions than he is at answering direct questions.

I too disagree with F1 on some levels  especially on my opinion regarding the information of hafler surround information and its similarities to SDA information

Due to the fact that he is much more knowledgeable than myself, I can only agree to disagree

Bottom line: F1 knows his shit.   but, the fact still remains, He is one heck of a Ball Breaker
Main system
Pre-amp: Adcom GTP-350
Main Amplification: Crown PS-400
Surround Amplification: Crown PS-400
Mains: Polk SDA-2B Studio
Rear fill: Polk RTA-12
Subs: (3) Velodyne F1200b

Offline GraphicFX

I have a solution to this and have given this much thought over my maturation of my audio habit

How about a DBS or our own. or at least a single blind study (SBS) where the listener knows not of the amp they are listening to

I will contribute what you all seem to think is a shitty amp
Someone throw in a Carver of your choice, and someone donate a nice esoteric tube or solid state amp and lets do a SBS of our own.

I'd be curious to see the outcome.

In order for this to be possible, the listeners have no idea of the amps being used or the order at which they will be selected.

When the shop is open, I'm in!
Any takers? or better yet, anyone with enough salt to risk picking a lesser amp then what you are currently using?
Main system

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

I too disagree with F1 on some levels  especially on my opinion regarding the information of hafler surround information and its similarities to SDA information

Due to the fact that he is much more knowledgeable than myself, I can only agree to disagree

Bottom line: F1 knows his shit.   but, the fact still remains, He is one heck of a Ball Breaker

I'm not commenting on his knowledge, just his delivery.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

I have a solution to this and have given this much thought over my maturation of my audio habit

How about a DBS or our own. or at least a single blind study (SBS) where the listener knows not of the amp they are listening to

Someone throw in a Carver of your choice, and someone donate a nice esoteric tube or solid state amp and lets do a SBS of our own.

In order for this to be possible, the listeners have no idea of the amps being used or the order at which they will be selected.

Any takers? or better yet, anyone with enough salt to risk picking a lesser amp then what you are currently using?

The big problem with testing amps in this way is that you have to control all of the variables that produce different volumes.   It is a universally accepted fact (at least I think it is universal, we can see if anyone disagrees) that louder gives the perception of better.

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh

Why should he spend time re-stating what was said in the article? If you can't understand or don't agree with something therein then perhaps you can discuss that?
HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable

Offline GraphicFX

The big problem with testing amps in this way is that you have to control all of the variables that produce different volumes.   It is a universally accepted fact (at least I think it is universal, we can see if anyone disagrees) that louder gives the perception of better.

c'mon  hook em up, slowly turn em up and just listen... Let's shut our eyes and hear what gives us the biggest suderiferious hard-on.
Main system

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
F1Nut, if you have an opinion why not express it rather than being vague and referring others to links so they can study up on it for themselves.

Well, I did express my opinion of DBT.

Is it not better when someone learns for themselves rather than handing them the answer?

Has anyone read any of it and if so, please share your thoughts.

'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline ataudio

DBT vs. ( insert your preference here)
Tubes vs. SS
Analog vs. Digital

Can't we all just play nice >:D
Each has is merits, each has its place, each has its faults.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

Why should he spend time re-stating what was said in the article? If you can't understand or don't agree with something therein then perhaps you can discuss that?

Because I am trying to engage another human being in conversation, not be endowed with wisdom from on high.   I was interested in his thoughts, not some message board links.

Offline GraphicFX

Because I am trying to engage another human being in conversation, not be endowed with wisdom from on high.   I was interested in his thoughts, not some message board links.

I do enjoy reading other's opinions, as well.  It makes for a good read.
I look forward to knowledgeable prose relating to the passion you all have about the sound of your systems. And, (of course)  pics of all your sexy gear.
Main system