Author Topic: I'll let the cat out of the bag.  (Read 1618 times)

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
I'll let the cat out of the bag.
« on: August 30, 2014, 09:09:11 PM »
I recently ran an ad for some EPI 100A speakers.   These are the same speakers I listed last month without a single response.   However, when I relisted them, I changed the first paragraph.   

I should probably give a little back story.   I recently heard a story on NPR about the companies that liquidate defunct retail stores.   They talked about how when they go through the first few weeks of the "going out of business sale", they first reprice everything to full retail, then take 20% off.   The net of this is that over half the store is now priced higher than it was before the company was taken over.

I've always realized this and wondered why people flock to the first days of a going out of business sale.   In my mind, there weren't any real bargains to be had until at least 40%, but for most stuff probably until 60% or higher.   I just figured that I am more savvy than the average consumer.

In the news story, however, they talked about the psychology of "total liquidation".   It turns out that some people buy as an emotional response (okay, I guess I always knew that and am as guilty as anyone), but they went on to describe how for some people the idea of profiting at someone else's misfortune is an emotional high for them.   It's almost the same mentality as a child abuser or domestic batterer, just obviously at a much lower level.   They don't go on the first day to get a bargain, they go to "get over on the big guy".   But of course the big guy is smarter than them and is in fact the one getting over.

So this leads me back to my ad.

I ran the exact same ad, with the same price as before.   I put it on CL, but deliberately didn't bring it here.   Someone in the shout box mentioned it and I owned it, even though I felt slightly embarrassed to do so.   But I knew that some here would recognize it as the same ad, so I came forward.

It was the exact same ad except for the first paragraph.   I changed it from something about audio being a great hobby that should be enjoyed to "I'm broke and it is a week until pay day. My loss is your gain. You get a great sounding pair of vintage speakers, I get a tank of gas."   I wanted to see if I could harness the power of that psychology.   I didn't lie, I was broke, but it wasn't a big deal and wasn't ever the primary reason for the sale.   Mainly, I just have too much stuff kicking around.

So, how did the experiment go?   I went from no responses to many.   All of which were the same.   People telling me "I have $50 cash RIGHT NOW", or even less.   It was clear that they all were looking to profit from my "desperation".   I sent them all the same response.   "I have a friend who I already said could have them for $50.   The best I can do for a stranger is $65."   Most didn't bother with a second response.   Some did, trying to "tempt" me with $60 (not knowing that I'm the kind of guy who would literally rather set them on fire than feed the trolls).   

My favorite response came from a guy who goes by the CL handle "Jitalo".  He answered "$80 or best offer, and a friend offered you $50?   I wouldn't want to come between that great friendship.   Thanks,   --Joe"   I hope Joe is reading this and sees how sub-human that answer was.   Of course I will give a better price to a friend than to a stranger who by all appearances is a bottom-feeder.   I stooped to a reply, simply saying "Smarmy and a low baller, you must be fun at parties".   I know I shouldn't have, but sometimes my impulses get the better of me.

So, the answer to my experiment is that you will get more responses, but they won't be the responses you want.   I guess the difference in a retail setting is that there is no haggling.   Oh, well, live and learn.

I think that from now on, when I have something to sell, I'm just going to post here and ask what people think is a fair price.   As much as CL tries to rob my faith in humanity, you all work diligently to restore it.   Scott, Pepe, Elijah, Carl, Tom and so many others have done a lot for me, all knowing that I wasn't in a position to repay.   

It was awesome to meet Augie today.   We listened to the speakers for a few minutes and I asked if he wanted them.   When he said yes, I unhooked from them and hooked to the Technics, just because I wanted someone else to hear them.   We talked for a few more minutes, he told me about some of his experiences in the hobby and asked questions about my kids, who were wandering in and out the whole time.   After what I think was about 20 minutes, I picked up one of the EPIs and put it on my shoulder, signaling that it was time to carry them out.   When we got out to his car, his wife and daughter were in it!   He was extremely generous with his time (perhaps to a fault) while he had people waiting for him.   I'll gladly go below market for such a nice guy.   The bottom feeders OTOH...

BTW, lest anyone think that ataudio was also looking to take advantage of my situation, one of the first questions he asked me was "Are they the Gold Ring Tweeters".   If he had seen the ad, he would have already known the answer.   In fact, I had several PMs here about the ad, and every one of them expressed concern for me.   I got answers like "I don't need the speakers, but if you need cash...".   That is why I didn't link the ad here to begin with.   I know what kind of people can be found here.

Thank you all.

SunnyDaze

Re: I'll let the cat out of the bag.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 11:11:41 PM »
When constructing any mathematical model involving auctions, sales, or allocation scenarios in general with two or more greedy and rational parties and some undetermined yet desired equilibrium state, utility is always the one factor for which the least amount of information exists (at least for the initial model, as time progresses this can be updated using Bayesian or similar methods).

Auggie is a very good and honest guy and one who appreciates what gear has to offer.

Very interesting insight, STaL. Perhaps we can all learn lesson or two from your little experiment.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 11:21:15 PM »
I'm struggling to deconstruct your first paragraph, but I agree with the other two.

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 03:44:01 AM »
I'm struggling to deconstruct your first paragraph

LOL...you're not alone.

Enjoyed reading your experiment. Some people suck!
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 07:45:32 AM »
Well phrased thoughts... Managed a number of
Large marketing groups / trading desks and this lesson was
one I often failed to successfully convey .
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...