Author Topic: headphone advice  (Read 1736 times)

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
  • Ready For Intervention!
headphone advice
« on: December 03, 2014, 01:24:21 PM »
I currently use (and love)  Sennheiser HD650 with a Schiit Valhalla headphone amp. BJ bought me the amp for my 60th birthday back in May. Wife bought me the cans. Anyway I love this combination for the type of music I listen to; mostly jazz, classical, and some classic rock. I like everything about them. What would be a decent can with closed back, around ear, velour ear pads (hate vinyl) that would also sound good with my Schiit amp?  I have Sennheiser HD360 pros that I bought a while back as they were on sale cheap and are closed. But they have vinyl ear pads. Am considering Beyerdynamic DT660,
AKG-272 HD. Both are just under $150. Also Sennheiser HD439 which is a good bit cheaper. Bear in mind most of my listening is with speakers but the HD650 does get it's fair share of usage. I just need something for the occasional time that I need to block out environmental noise...Wife, tv, etc.

Thx

bmwr75

Re: headphone advice
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 06:16:12 PM »
I have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT-770s.  They come with velour pads and are some of the most comfortable HPs I own.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 06:32:23 PM »
I've never used their phones, but Beyer ribbon mics rock.

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 12:02:49 AM »
I have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT-770s.  They come with velour pads and are some of the most comfortable HPs I own.

Thanks for the input. It looks like the DT770s 250 Ohm should be just the ticket. My wife doesn't think I should spend the money right now. Of course if she would talk less or go into the den to watch TV then I could use my speakers or my Sennheiser HD650 and problem solved >:D

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 12:06:38 AM »
I've never used their phones, but Beyer ribbon mics rock.

Thanks for the reply STaL Though I have no interest in mics it's still nice to have another thumbs up to B-D quality.