Author Topic: Crites Q&A on capacitors, burn-in, etc. ---- discuss among yourselves  (Read 15883 times)

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
Re: Crites Q&A on capacitors, burn-in, etc. ---- discuss among yourselves
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2015, 03:53:08 AM »
I get a chuckle out of the contingent that insists ABX tests are the benchmark for determining differences in audio as I'm always reminded of that infamous ABX test, which resulted in a pair of Futterman OTL monoblocks sounding the same as a $200 Japanese receiver. That contingent clings to that test as if it was the Bible when in reality it proves how utterly worthless that type of test truly is as it relates to audio.

Then there's the specs are the only thing that matters folks. Now, I think we all agree that specs/measurements are necessary and important. However, they are far from the bottom line. It's not unusual to have something that measures well, but sounds like crap or on the other hand measures poorly, but sounds really good.
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Anders

« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2015, 05:39:11 AM »
The only spec that matters is shipping weight.

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2015, 06:33:16 AM »
Then there's the specs are the only thing that matters folks. Now, I think we all agree that specs/measurements are necessary and important. However, they are far from the bottom line. It's not unusual to have something that measures well, but sounds like crap or on the other hand measures poorly, but sounds really good.
Agree
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2015, 03:05:11 PM »
The only spec that matters is shipping weight.

:laugh:

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2015, 09:19:46 PM »
I probably shouldn't say this but it shocks me when I hear someone say there's no difference between good amp and cables and capacitors.
I've heard it many many many times and its been said over and over again in Audio magazines like Stereophile and The Absolute sound.
Are people ignoring this fact or don't they care or do they just not know ?

It is an interesting phenomenon and one that seems to occur mostly with audio related things. One thing for sure, it's not based in any form of logic as differences are present in everything else in life.

I trust then that you would never buy a generic drug?

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2015, 09:40:21 PM »
STaL

Is this a contest? Is it necessary to have a winner here? it seems to me as though you are being argumentative and questioning others veracity as opposed to allowing others to opine. Maybe it's just me?

Ron
Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600

Bunni

« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2015, 10:06:50 PM »
If you wanna go there, there have been differences in many generic drugs.  I should qualify this a bit.  The active ingredients are the same, but other things like fillers have in the past been different and have caused food allergies, for example, in some cases. 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 10:10:54 PM by Bunni »

Offline Reverend

« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2015, 10:47:02 PM »
STAL being argumentative? Say it ain't so....

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2015, 10:53:56 PM »
I can't read his posts because he's on my BOZO list, first one.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2015, 11:38:56 PM »
STaL

Is this a contest?

Ron;

A contest would require not only a winner and a loser, but it would require someone to actually be on a team.   I'm not on any team here.   I'm not sold on one particular viewpoint in this conversation.   I am trying to turn over every stone and reach an informed conclusion.

That said, when one "team" tries to persuade me with little more than "because my ears are better that yours", it certainly does fall flat.   I want someone to give me a reason that things which measure the same and in fact sound the same to most people are not the same.   Instead of reasons, I get multiple insults, and then get told that I'm the instigator.   Odd.

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2015, 11:50:04 PM »
"In Internet slang, a troll, is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4]"
Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600

Offline ataudio

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2015, 12:13:03 AM »
Let's keep it to a friendly debate.  We've all experimented with caps, cables, tubes, tweeks etc. 
Its a great deal of fun...no need to slam anyone.

Good thing were not talking about transformers  :D    Which, by the way, is my favorite passive component....part inductor, part capacitor, part resistor but mostly transformer.

Anders

« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2015, 05:03:45 AM »
Ohhh boy. I once compared output transformers in a tube amp and there's a big difference.
A lot of feedback is required to make up for transformer problems.

Offline ataudio

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2015, 12:26:10 PM »
I'm no expert in transformers but I've owned (and still own some) but my favorite is the ElectraPrint, followed by vintage API, and Hammond.  I have a import clone of a vintage Neve design which sucks..never heard the real Neve. 
These are all interstage, coupling, or input transformers.  Never rolled output trannies. My decware set has Edcor which are extremely inexpensive but sound far better than their price point. 

No one is allowed to bring up capacitors for a month :police:

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2015, 12:41:47 PM »
Maybe it's time to put this thread to bed. Let's compare toilet paper. My ass prefers Charmin Ultra soft. YAMV. (your ass may vary)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 12:43:39 PM by bearjew »