Author Topic: Quicksilver Silver 90 monoblocks  (Read 2638 times)

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
  • Receiving Aural Pleasure....
Quicksilver Silver 90 monoblocks
« on: March 05, 2015, 03:35:11 PM »
Great amps, just find that I prefer small watts with my horns.  Would consider trades (high eff. speakers?), but cash is king.  $1200 for regular known VHF folks.

Pics can be found here:

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/ele/4918774650.html
preamp: BAT VK-5
amp: Altec 944sa
DAC:  Bel Canto 2.5
CDP: Pioneer Elite DV-47a
Intel NUC server / iFi micro iUSB3.0 / Roon
Spendor FL9

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
Re: Quicksilver Silver 90 monoblocks
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 05:55:09 PM »
Super cool, what sonic difference did you find between between big vs small watts with your horns?

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 06:29:45 PM »
Super cool, what sonic difference did you find between between big vs small watts with your horns?

Mainly in dynamics and in a je ne sais quoi / 'musical' quality sort of way, not to say it isn't a good sounding amp,  Night and day when I switched between the two on my CWs.  If I had power hungry speakers, I'd keep 'em... They sounded good with the Van Ls.
Spendor FL9

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 12:39:20 AM »
I suspect it is less because of "big vs small" (more power is always a good thing), but rather SE vs PP.

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 05:01:36 AM »
The Dynaco that I run is a PP amp.  I was led to believe the dynamics had a lot to do with transformer size; massive in the Quicksilvers very rather smaller with the Dynaco.  'Why' really doesn't matter too much, for my applications I simply prefer the sound one over the other.
Spendor FL9

Offline Meles

• FNG !!!
  • It's Classic But It's Good
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 04:29:44 PM »
The Dynaco that I run is a PP amp.  I was led to believe the dynamics had a lot to do with transformer size; massive in the Quicksilvers very rather smaller with the Dynaco.  'Why' really doesn't matter too much, for my applications I simply prefer the sound one over the other.
I had the ST35 briefly and a friend still has the unit in mothballs. I thought it was a great amp given its affordable long lasting EL84 output tubes. I also have an Eico integrated with 7591 outputs which is darn nice as a 7591 is supposed to be like a half of a Tungsol 6550. I am rather ignorant of the possibilities for these, but I would think adding triode mode to these would give them a sound much more like the revered directly heated triode amps.

I am really interested in the VTL Tiny Triodes which ran 4 EL84 per monoblock in triode mode for a supposed 25 watts. These would be great amps and have a strong reputation. Salvatore at Supreme Recordings recommends them. http://www.high-endaudio.com/RC-Amplifiers.html

Also on this page is a reference to "Tom Evans Linear A stereo amp; 25wpc from 4 parallel EL84s per channel driven by op amps (!),  .... a revolutionary amplifier."

A fun little tube the EL84.

Quicksilvers are supposed to be easy to modify with their point to point wiring.

A friend of mine runs some custom 6550 push pulls in triode mode on his quads and they can get amazingly loud in his room with only 25 watts.
SPK:Vandersteen 4a
AMP(sub):Eagle 2a, all black gate caps
AMP(mid):Allen Organ converted to 300B PP
AMP(high):Allen Organ carcus w/seperate ps 6B4G PP
PRE:Loesch (got to go)
T/T:Well Tempered Classic with Benz Ruby
CD:Pioneer BDP-51FD hotrodded
CBL:Monster Sigma M2000, M2.4, PS Audio AC-12