Author Topic: Tube Preamp  (Read 4269 times)

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
Tube Preamp
« on: May 08, 2015, 04:18:59 PM »
Hey guys,

I have been fortunate enough to purchase a carverfest tube amp, and have since integrated it into my system with rather impressive results.  Rolled some tubes ext ext and cant say enough about how much I love this amplifier. 

I am currently running a SS Carver C-1 preamp, and have no complaints it is a great sounding/clean unit.  I may have been bitten by the bug though, because lately I am considering going all tube >:D and getting a tube preamp to mate with the carverfest amp.  Maybe get a little more... flavor if that makes sense.

Two brands that seem to be reputable and in my price range are used Audio Research and Conrad Johnson, any others that you have had success with ?  I would say that I am looking for something warmer than neutral but not so warm it's veiled and rolled off.
Can anyone give me an idea on what kind of sonic change I would realize with going from a SS pre to a tube pre?  I am guessing a warmer, more dimensional sound generally, but I'd love some opinions from people who have a tube power amp and went from SS to tube pre.

Any opinions/experiences are appreciated.

Offline BrianT

• F'n Brit Asshole!!!
Re: Tube Preamp
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 04:40:23 PM »
Hey guys,

I have been fortunate enough to purchase a carverfest tube amp, and have since integrated it into my system with rather impressive results.  Rolled some tubes ext ext and cant say enough about how much I love this amplifier. 

I'd love some opinions from people who have a tube power amp and went from SS to tube pre.

Can you tell me what tubes you went to in the Carverfest Amp?
Would love to help you with SS pre to tube pre but I have been tubed pre for years

Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2SI integrated amp
Takatsuki 300B tubes
2 x Carver 275 Mono Block
Audience Front Row Bi wire Speaker Cables
Audience Front Row USB Cable
Audience Front Row RCA Cables
VPI Classic TurnTable (blk)
c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Auralic G2 server
B&W 803D3 (black)

Offline non-prophet

• Audio Connoisseur
  • Peace among worlds
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 09:00:49 PM »
Tom has a Melos GK-1, I would strongly suggest that.
Duntech PCL-400 (Black Knight), KEF 105/3, Snell Type b
Aloia PST 11.1, Terra Song ss-1, Luxman c-1000, Melos MA333
Llano Phoenix CA-300, White Audio Labs A100, (2) Luxman M4000
McIntosh MA230

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 10:30:15 PM »
I don't have the same class amp and pre amp so maybe I'm missing out. My experience has been the advantage of a tube pre amp is the ability to change the sound with different tubes.

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 02:07:38 AM »
I've no experience matching anything to your amp. That said, early CJ pre amps are really warm. What's your price range?
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

bearjew

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 07:06:50 AM »
Tom has a Melos GK-1, I would strongly suggest that.

I strongly agree with this.  I'd borrow it for a little bit and see what you think before you jump into buying something.  The Melos is a great pre; I'd definitely play with it for a little bit.

Anders

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 08:56:09 AM »
Conrad Johnson pre-amps are great but some are noisy due to too much gain.
Best all around tube preamp i've heard is an Audio Research SP6 and there are many versions of it. Trouble is price has gone way up.

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 08:52:03 AM »
Thanx to everyone for the replies --

Scorpio - got ya

Brian -- I am running siemens e84L which is a el84 with higher voltage rating, and the smaller tubes i believe are 6n2p or 6ax7

Non prophet/BJ - Someone else had mentioned melos to me, id love the opportunity to demo something and get a better idea

F1 - Price range tops out at around 1000 - 1300 id say, looking for used gear (as always)

Anders - thank you iv been reading up on them online, Glad to hear you give them a favorable review