Audio Discussion > DIY

Phase Linear 400 Refurbishing Project

<< < (2/5) > >>

Kingman:
I'm listening to my Dual 500 right now...they are great amps and the bad rap they have acquired is undeserved...most were ran in professional applications and abused to the max!

papabearjew:
One mod you should do that was never done to mine is the speaker protection mod like White Oak offers. Every time I shut it off I held my breath for the very loud shut down thump that went through your speakers. I think that mod also protects your speakers from the straight DC issue they're known for. I still have to have my PL400 looked at to see what damage I caused to it. You may want to look online and see some photos of it with the blue LEDs. I like the natural color that they came with better. It keeps with the  vintage heritage of the amp. They do offer LEDs in natural colors. My opinion of course.

OldiesButGoodies:
Hey PBJ -

I did look at the Oak Audio mod for speaker protection,  but found it a bit expensive at 100 for what is essentially a uPC1237 chip and some relays,  so I ordered it separately on ebay for a lot less (1/10th the price) and I am going with that.   Did notice a bit of a thump on shut off,  not too bad (I have heard much worse - I am looking at you, Melos equipment) and thought it would be taken care of by a ceramic cap by the power feed but not sure yet.  Come to think of it I could use the relays controlled by the 1237 for that as well,  just need to think it through a bit. 

On the meters - I ordered the blue LED kit.  Guilty,   I like the blue light (and I can barely see the needles dancing with the original lights).  I am trying my best to do everything in such a way that a future owner concerned with originality can reverse my work,  so along with the old can caps I will store the existing lighting board so it can be swapped back in.   

As I mentioned earlier,  I am surprised at how good this amp sounds for being a "budget audiophile amp" of the early seventies.

OBG

papabearjew:
OBG sounds good

F1nut:

--- Quote from: papabearjew on June 07, 2016, 12:47:18 AM ---OBG sounds good

--- End quote ---

Does he now?  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version