Author Topic: CD blackout markers  (Read 1458 times)

Offline non-prophet

• Audio Connoisseur
  • Peace among worlds
CD blackout markers
« on: April 20, 2017, 01:16:51 PM »
Voodoo or not, i bought a 10 pack of Edding 500 permanent markers.  Recomended marker for cd edging, since audioprism does not make theirs anymore.  These dry completely black, not like sharpie.  I am willing to let 6 go, music direct sells these for $10/each.  Some crazy seller on ebay has them for $24/each another has a $26 listing and shows a 10 pack, but did not respond to my questions asking if it was a 10 pack or not.  I got mine from Germany, where they are made.  $5/each

Could be the cheapest tweak ever, at worst, you get one of the finest permanent markers made in the world today.  You cannot lose!
Duntech PCL-400 (Black Knight), KEF 105/3, Snell Type b
Aloia PST 11.1, Terra Song ss-1, Luxman c-1000, Melos MA333
Llano Phoenix CA-300, White Audio Labs A100, (2) Luxman M4000
McIntosh MA230

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
Re: CD blackout markers
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 09:58:16 PM »
I need to know, how do they smell??   >:D  :laugh:  O0  :(|)

Good for huffing?  Too bad I gave up sniffing glue!  >:D
Carl

Offline non-prophet

• Audio Connoisseur
  • Peace among worlds
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 10:36:43 PM »
Carl, low odor, so no cheap high.  They do work well, excellent coverage.  I might be drinking the kool aid, but, i can clearly hear a difference.  Mind you, i only used this on cdrs. Spent hours listening to my main stereo today.   cdrs with black edges had differences vs. original cds in most cases, most notably in crosstalk.  I also have the audio desk cd lathe, eventually i will have to write a review.  Maybe sometime in early 2019.
McIntosh MA230

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 08:36:47 AM »
Have never tried markers on the edges.... but remember reading about green colored markers for that a long time ago .....  If possible, I'd like to buy one or two.... worth a try? 
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

bmwr75

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 09:08:00 AM »
Nick,

I read years ago in Stereophile about CDR copies sounding better than the original CD.  They couldn't explain why, but said they deifnitely thought the CDR copies sounded better.  Have you tried CDR vs. CDR with black marker?

Scott

Offline non-prophet

• Audio Connoisseur
  • Peace among worlds
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 11:18:56 AM »
Yes, Scott.  I did notice a difference there also, crosstalk and bass mostly.  I have listened to a ton of burned cds and factory over the years, without noticing much or no difference, unless it was a bad burn.  More auditioning to come, i have most of the cd tweaks:

Audioprism cd blacklight (cd damper that glows in the dark)
Mccormack cd damper (cd damper to help balance the cd)
Bedini cd clarifier (i believe this demagnetizes cds)
Audio desk cd lathe (cuts a clean beveled edge on cds)

I currently have two dacs in my system also, entec number cruncher and theta pro gen V.  Muliple transports if i get motivated,  theta (philips) currently, i can add sony es and pioneer elite.
McIntosh MA230