Repair / Help Forum > Repair / Help

Sony MHC-3500 problems

(1/2) > >>

asbefore:
hi there -- I have an old Sony MHC-3500 mini hifi.
The cassette deck unit is long gone, as is the CD changer - they died a long time ago when the kids were little.

But now I have a pesky problem -- when I play audio through the Phono or Aux connections, I only get the right speaker. You'd think something is wrong with the speaker ---- but when I play radio through the Tuner, I get both right and left.

What can it be?

Thank you!

gdv:
Hi asbefore...  My first thought would be the selector switch (phono/aux/tuner/etc.).  Try ?giggling? that switch or selecting various different functions ?quickly?.  Deoxit will probably help...

gdv

MacGeek:
I suggest reversing the cables to see if the problem is your unit or the source component (or the cables)

Sir Thrift-a-Lot:

--- Quote from: gdv on June 04, 2021, 05:46:47 AM ---Hi asbefore...  My first thought would be the selector switch (phono/aux/tuner/etc.).  Try ?giggling? that switch or selecting various different functions ?quickly?.  Deoxit will probably help...

gdv

--- End quote ---

And the balance control.   While you are in there, just Deoxit all of the switches and pots.

asbefore:
are you guys suggesting I open the unit up and Deoxit from the inside -- or just spray some deoxit on it from the outside without taking it apart?

the other weird thing is that this unit has a "surround" button on the amplifier, despite the fact that it only has connections for two speakers. I suppose it's "fake" surround -- but either way, when I press "Surround",  sound appears in the previously muted left speaker -- but it's not quite balanced.

thank you all!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version