Audio Discussion > DIY

Acoustic panels

(1/4) > >>

scorpio333:
I recently got a set of Tekton Pendragons for my main listening area and let's just say they have been a real challenge in multiple ways, such as their 88lb weight. Over the a past few weeks it's been a slow process of finding the right placement away from the wall, amount of toe in, etc to get the soundstage as wide and tall as I can get it. I got it pretty close, or so I thought. This past weekend I had a chance to really turn it up and was disappointed. It sounds fine up to 1/2 way on the volume, then the after that it goes shrill and distorted? Some users have reported the Pendragons bring out all the room's acoustic shortcoming or issues. It was recommended to me to look into acoustic panels for early reflection points. ACK, another rabbit hole of unknown depth...when does this end???

I got to reading and like most things in this world it's a heated debate of science vs myth and everything else, lots of nonsense to sift through. So I do what I often do, look for a cheap option to test before investing a bunch of time and money. I found https://www.lowes.com/pd/Owens-Corning-Thermafiber-Fire-and-Sound-Guard-3-in-x-15-in-x-47-in/5001729147 at Lowe's $14 cheaper than Home Depot. Lowe's didn't have it on the floor, so I had to wait 30 minutes for them to get it down from shelves. They said it's a brand new product and they didn't have room for it yet. Anyhow, got the stuff home and made two rough draft panels by wrapping old bed sheets around the batt to keep the stuff from floating around. I put one panel on each side for early reflection points and was very pleasantly surprised/shocked. Most striking was the clarity around vocals and the speakers mostly disappearing. For years I never really gave thought to the actual room being an issue, not my/i] room, my room would never do that!

Sir Thrift-a-Lot:
I've been meaning to look into this sort of thing myself.   I'm mostly happy with the room sound except the sub is, I don't know, uncontrolled.   It sounds great from the listening position, but if I move to the left side of the room it gets way too loud and it also drops off a bit on the right side of the room.   I'm not sure what the best fix would be, but experimentation is probably in order.

I guess because I am happy from the listening position I haven't given it too much thought.

Sir Thrift-a-Lot:
I just looked at the link.   I've seen that stuff in high school gyms and similar uses.   It always cracks me up when someone paints over it as I'm fairly certain that ruins the dampening effect. 

gdv:
Have you looked into tectum?  Eons ago when I was involved with my church?s sound system, we used their panels & results were better?. 

Sir Thrift-a-Lot:
I Googled Tectum and found this site/product.   Attractive and cheap (compared to the big names anyway).

https://www.audimute.com/acousticolor-acoustic-panels

They do free acoustic analysis (which is probably like free water purity analysis from Culligan, but maybe it's actually useful).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version