Repair / Help Forum > Repair / Help

New turntable in vintage receiver issue

(1/6) > >>

Michael L:
Hi, Newbie here. I just purchased a nice Fluance turntable to replace a defective cheap Audio-Technica. Am running it through a vintage Yamaha CR 10-20 receiver that has a preamp. The turntable does not have a preamp. It works when connected to either Phono 1 or Phono 2 inputs and not through any other inputs. The problem is that compared to a cd the turntable volume, bass and overall quality sound is less than half the cd. Any thoughts for solutions are greatly appreciated. Am looking forward to hearing better vinyl, thank you.

Sir Thrift-a-Lot:
I trust it is properly grounded?   Sometimes one input is just louder than another.

Michael L:
Turntable is grounded and both phono 1 and phono 2 inputs provide same low volume.

MacGeek:
How much is the volume difference?  Can you still advance the volume control to a level sufficient for your desired listening level?  If so and things otherwise sound good, I wouldn't be concerned.

The volume difference may be a function of the cartridges output.  If you have another cartridge available, I suggest trying it in order to confirm the reason for the difference.

scorpio333:
Welcome Michael. Not sure what your experience level is, so don't take any of these as an insult.  :)

Is the Yamaha the only amp/receiver you have with a phono input? If you have another, try that one out.

What cartridge do you have installed on the Fluance? Double check the leads on the headshell are firmly attached as well as RCA cables. Did you go through setting up the Fluance? Zero the arm out, add tracking force, set antiskate, etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version