Author Topic: The cure for a tough day at work...  (Read 9263 times)

OldiesButGoodies

Polks 5Jr Crossover Upgraded
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 09:08:15 AM »
Per Jess suggestion I upgraded the components of the x-over.  The difference is too big (positive!) to owe only to improved components - I have to believe tose old electrolytic caps were operating significantly out of spec.  The sound is more natural (which helps me understand why the SL2000 tweeters have a resale value in eBay - they are not that bad - maybe I should have done this first before ordering the RDOs!).  Jess:  Note that I was unable to procure the Mills 1 ohm so I had to go with regular wire-wound 1 ohm in series with the cap. When I get the Mills I will fix that.  I also expect some improvements as the new caps pass their break-in period.

Thnaks!

Pepe

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
Re: The cure for a tough day at work...
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2010, 05:38:08 PM »
Nice job.  :D :D

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • Ready For Intervention!
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2010, 07:08:45 PM »
Excellent!!! ;D
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

OldiesButGoodies

Polks RDO194s Installed
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2010, 09:32:08 PM »
This project done (for now).  The RDOs are black domed instead of cloudy white.  Huge improvement in sound (more natural, way less fatiguing sound).  The "acoustastuff" sound dampening inside the box feels cheap and sparse.  Need to research if upgrading that would help any.  Here are the pics for the archives.

TGIF!

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2010, 10:46:03 PM »
Very nice!  I can tell you are njoying the hobby and the quality of sound from those speakers.  You could spend a lot of money and not have the same quality that you now enjoy.  Renovating and upgrading vintage audio equipment is fun and yields high value sound quality for a fraction of the cost of buying something new.

Congrats!  Very nice pictures!
Carl

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2010, 10:56:23 PM »
Very nice, thanks for posting.
 I am sure you are enjoying them already!
HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2010, 08:15:08 AM »
Looks good. If they sound good now, just think how they will sound once the upgrades have broken in!!
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

OldiesButGoodies

Polk 5jr Update
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2010, 11:43:47 AM »
Update on the Polks:

I received and installed the RDO-194 tweeters.  After three weeks I concluded one of the new tweeters was bad - distorting at all levels. Called Polk and they told me "throw that one away we are sending you a new one no cost to you" (very nice).

I received that this week - also received a new set f x-over components from Madisound to replace the Daton cap and Radio Schack resistors I used originally (paying closer attention to F1nut's direction), Claricaps,  mundorf, etc. Also plan to test a Madisound tweeter felt ring I ordered to see if that helps the baffle interaction of the tweeters (have read mixed reviews on that - but it sure made my old Spicas TC-60s shine in that design - so hell why not try it (see pictures of my old TC-60s below).  Will keep you posted. 

Pepe

Offline paden501

• Audio Geek!
  • Nobody Home
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2010, 05:02:54 PM »
Sweet stuff.  Jesse knows his stuff when it comes to modifying old Polks.  It's amazing how much a good updated x-over improves these speakers.
~Matt
--- My System ---
Front L/R: Polk Audio SDA-1C w/ Modified xovers
Amp: Carver TFM-24
CD: Jolida JD100a
HTR/Pre: B&K Reference 20
Turntable:Pioneer PL-516 W/ Shure M97xe
Surrounds -Polk Audio Monitor 4As