Author Topic: Component placement question.  (Read 5501 times)

SunnyDaze

Component placement question.
« on: July 02, 2010, 11:40:10 PM »
After looking at enough systems online and spending time in the listening areas of folks who do what we do, I've come to wonder something...

What makes you place your components in the arrangement that you do? There's no right / wrong with this. Are your amps on top because you like to show off their VU meters? Is your turntable in the closet because you're that obsessive? Are your components located on your racks / shelves / tables in any particular order for a reason? Yinz get the idea...

bmwr75

Re: Component placement question.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 07:53:29 AM »
I usually put the receiver or preamp on the top shelf of the vertical rack because that makes it easier to wire every thing up.  If its a tube amp, that goes on top or on a lower shelf with lots of breathing room.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 08:44:31 AM »
Amp on top rack to dissipate heat. 2nd Rack has cd player and preamp because they are my most commonly used. Turntables are displayed on a seperate heavier cabinet to keep them seperated from vibrations when I turn it up.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline icravcarver

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Vinyl is better than ever!!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 09:42:51 PM »
I've done both, amp on top and on bottom. (Same applies to my Receivers).  Always try to put them in a spot where I can leave them by themselves, or put them on top of other components so they have room to disipate the heat.  I would like the amp to be on top, so you can see the meters, but currently with my setup, even though it is on the bottom, they are still viewable without too much effort.  I the try and put the components I use the most towards the top, i.e. preamp, tuner.  Turntable, obviously is on the very top of the rack so I can raise dust cover and deal with the albums easily.  Also, I try and go/look for a "flow" to the components in the rack.  Again, as you said, it is mostly preference.  (Also, try and separate the amp from the preamp, the tuner from the CDP, just to help eliminate any noise pickup from either component.)
MAIN SYSTEM:Carver TFM-55, Carver C-16, Carver S/DA-490t, Carver TD-1770, BSR-EQ3000, Philips AF-677, Auvio HD Radio Tuner, Polk SDA-1C's
Man Cave: HR-772, Technics SL-P220, Polk Monitor 12 Series 2
Bedroom: Cheap ass Teac Receiver, Klipsch Heresy II's
Porch: Kenwood KR-820 Receiver, Optimus STS 100

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • Ready For Intervention!
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 09:55:19 PM »
I always try to place amps in the best area where they will have optimal cooling. :o
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 05:48:32 PM by OCCD »
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline Turtle

• Basshole!
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 10:42:47 AM »
My amp runs in class a operation, so I leave it on top for heat dissipation.  Turntable is also on top for access, preamp and CD player in the middle shelf, and the power conditioner and phono stage on the bottom rack since I don't ever touch them.  None of this is for aesthetic reasons, really just for convenience.
When I die I hope my wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

Marantz SA15S2/Rega P3, Parasound P3, Parasound A21, Monitor Audio RS6