Author Topic: Looking for a sub plate amp  (Read 5524 times)

OldiesButGoodies

Looking for a sub plate amp
« on: August 11, 2010, 09:26:19 PM »
Hi all...

I am working on repairing a pair of Cambridge Audio SW1* subs (master + slave).  I am trying to diagnose the circuit board but it is not looking good.  Lots of heat signature near the amp chips.  So...  my take is to get a plate amp from some other sub and adapt it to this sub using the original plate.  If you have a decent plate amp available to sell to me,  please let me know your price.

Thanks,

Pepe

*Not my sub BTW,  a friends - he has a nostalgic connection to these...

Offline paden501

• Audio Geek!
  • Nobody Home
Re: Looking for a sub plate amp
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 01:34:31 PM »
What kind of power are you looking for?  I have an old KLH sub w/ a working plate amp.  I'll have to check the stats on it for you.

~Matt
--- My System ---
Front L/R: Polk Audio SDA-1C w/ Modified xovers
Amp: Carver TFM-24
CD: Jolida JD100a
HTR/Pre: B&K Reference 20
Turntable:Pioneer PL-516 W/ Shure M97xe
Surrounds -Polk Audio Monitor 4As

SunnyDaze

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 01:41:46 PM »
And are you in need of any certain features? Low level in? High level in? Low level out? LPF? Subsonic filtration? etc...

Check out Parts-Express. They've got a decent selection of Dayton and BASH plate amps. I can't attest for the Dayton products, but the BASH plate amps are the real deal.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 07:54:42 PM »
This is for an original PSW1 + slave setup - about 20 yrs old - also referred to as "the original Ensemble".  Two big boxes with 12 inch subs in each, one active, one passive.  They were one of the better Cambridge Sound subs.  They had everything - low/high level inputs, adjustable xovers, etc.  But for this resto-mod all I am looking for is low level inputs, level control, and xover ctrl.  I am bringing the dead plate amp to the meeting Saturday to see if perhaps Tom can resuscitate it (but Tom's track record with my sub plate amps lately is not good  ;)  - just kiddin Tom, sort of!).  There is little info about these subs in the net.  The power output of the original plate is 200 watts.  Once concern I have if I buy a Parts Express plate is how to drive the second speaker properly without killing the amp through a low impedance load (paralell).  So any suggestions on that would be appreciated.  Thanks for your input.    :)

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/subwoofers/cambridge-soundworks/powered-subwoofer/PRD_119260_2741crx.aspx

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • Ready For Intervention!
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 12:09:05 AM »
 I am bringing the dead plate amp to the meeting Saturday to see if perhaps Tom can resuscitate it (but Tom's track record with my sub plate amps lately is not good  ;)  - just kiddin Tom, sort of!).

I am batting 1000 this week on plate amps!  :o  I am blaming Velodyne for the 1200 melt down.

Bring it in.
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

SunnyDaze

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 01:17:24 AM »
I run mine at a steady 4 ohms, configured as two 8 ohm subs in parallel.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 07:49:52 AM »
SD:  That is what I need to know - a plate amp that runs ok at 4 ohms.  Are you using a BASH amp from Parts Express?   If so which one?

Offline fhawk618

• FNG !!!
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 08:08:03 AM »
Check out listings for replacement parts from some of the pro audio companies like Mackie, JBL, Behringer, Yamaha, B-52 etc. They all offer lines of powered speakers/subs, most of which have amps with gain controls, crossovers and external inputs. These amps will definitely drive 4 ohm loads and are available with power ratings from 100w to the sky's the limit. Better yet, find a used cabinet with a blown driver and scavenge the amp...
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."--Hunter S. Thompson

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 10:14:14 AM »
That would be the sweetest option - finding a sub with a blown driver with 1200 watt amp and a blown driver for $20. 

I can dream!

SunnyDaze

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 11:54:53 AM »
Well Pepe, I started out with the BASH 500W RMS amp, which I paid $240 for. Then I saw they had the 300W RMS plate amp go on sale. I did some reading on the two, and testing showed that against real-world impedance, the 300W amp put out around 348W RMS, while the 500W amp put out only slightly more. In the interest of saving myself the $120, I shipped the 500W BASH back to PE using their no questions asked return policy. The 300W showed up, and it works great. I've got the gain set a little over 1/3 of the way up , and I still find that to be a bit much with some recordings. The other good thing is, you can tweak the SSF and boost frequency by swapping out two resistors.

Check out the pictures of my system that I posted the other night in the "List Your System" threat. You can see the amp, and the housing that I constructed for it.

I don't think I'll be at the meeting tomorrow, or else I'd bring it up for you to try. If you can wait two weeks, that is a possibility.  

« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 12:04:55 PM by SunnyDaze »