Poll

Which would your rather own if you had one choice?  An amazing piece of historical vintage equipment or a brand new, extremely expensive, piece of equipment that is equally as amazing?

New
12 (75%)
Old
4 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: New vs. Old School  (Read 7029 times)

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • Ready For Intervention!
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
Re: New vs. Old School
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2010, 10:02:14 AM »
Go old, save the depreciation. You can buy that fancy new piece for 1/3 the cost down the road and not lose your ass on it.  The question should really be... You have $15k of cash to buy a new stereo system. Do you buy new or old... Hmmm...what would I buy with 15K and am I limited to only one system?
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2010, 11:04:02 AM »
What makes old gear old? If you just mean pre-owned, then I'll go old. If you mean 30 years old, I'll go new.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2010, 12:02:32 PM »
My 71 240Z would cruise at 100 mph with no trouble but you knew you were going really fast. My Infiniti feels the same at 100 as it does at 65 mph.

I can relate!  My best friend in high school had a '73 240z we restored and I own an Infiniti too.  Still, if I had the choice between a Shelby Cobra and a brand new Ferrari, I'd take the Cobra.

Have you ever been in an AC Ace / Shelby Cobra before Rev? No offense, but I doubt you'd fit. For that matter, I doubt, Tom, Lerch, or Dave would even fit. Ed and Pepe would have to drive the damn thing all around. We built one for a guy from a Factor Five kit about a decade ago, they're shoeboxes on wheels.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2010, 12:14:56 PM »
Well, the average age of my components sans headphones, interconnects, cabling, and the rack itself is 1988 and 7 months with the newest being 2010 and the oldest being 1974. I guess that makes my system middle school.

I will say this, most of the newer components that I've owned sound better than the older components that are of similar quality.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 12:18:11 PM by SunnyDaze »

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • Ready For Intervention!
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2010, 02:46:06 PM »
My newest component is 5 years old. My oldest component is 43 years old.
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline sk1335

• Frank Lloyd Wrong
  • Play it loud, Play it often!
    • Dimension Design Services
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2010, 04:17:40 PM »
I don't know how we got on to cars - but I guess I'll chime in for the Audi contingent.
My allroad will do 150mph all day long, and it feels like you're sitting in your living room easy boy.
Family Rm: Carver Lightstar 2.0, Carver C-19, Sony CDP x777es, NHT 3.3, Yamaha PF 800 TT
Garage: Carver Lightstar 2.0, Carver C-19, Sony CDP 707esd, Denon DP-51 TT, JBL L5 (JL Audio Modded)
Living Rm: Harman-Kardon 775 Monoblocks, Apt Holmann Pre

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2010, 07:47:29 PM »
OLD SCHOOL.... HI-END OLD SCHOOL. 8) 8) 8)

McIntosh, Krell, Mccormack, Snell's, Levinson, Boulder... You can get this stuff now for a small fraction of what it cost new. Let the filthy rich, with money to waste buy it new. I will pick it up a few years down the road for a few bucks.. :o  Just look on Audiogon, people paying $50,000 for a pair of speakers, that you can buy 10 years later $1,000 and they sound just as good...

Same goes with cars for me, I would rather buy a hi-end used car then a new Cavalier....