Author Topic: KLH Nines ???  (Read 5774 times)

Offline icravcarver

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Vinyl is better than ever!!!!
KLH Nines ???
« on: September 21, 2010, 08:23:54 PM »
I have been reading a little bit about these speakers and find many varying reviews.  Anyone here have any experience with them.  Also, what kind of power would necessary to drive them effectively?  I saw somewhere here that someone picked up a pair recently.  Just curious about them at the moment.

Neil
MAIN SYSTEM:Carver TFM-55, Carver C-16, Carver S/DA-490t, Carver TD-1770, BSR-EQ3000, Philips AF-677, Auvio HD Radio Tuner, Polk SDA-1C's
Man Cave: HR-772, Technics SL-P220, Polk Monitor 12 Series 2
Bedroom: Cheap ass Teac Receiver, Klipsch Heresy II's
Porch: Kenwood KR-820 Receiver, Optimus STS 100

Offline icravcarver

Re: KLH Nines ???
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 09:26:44 PM »
Hate to reply to my own post, as I see several have read it, but no one wants to chime in.  I did some research and it appears that these are 16R resistance (R,Z,Ohm, whatever you want to use - I chose R=Ohms).  I also read that if I were to hook up my TFM-55, it would just not be able to drive them effectively as it would either an 8R down to a 4R set of cabinets.  I know a lot of tube amps have 4R, 8R, and 16R connections on the back, so they are better suited for this type of speaker.

Would there be any advantage of running a dummy 16R load in parallel to a speaker with this impedance, thus (in theory) reducing it to 8R overall???  (Could substitue a larger load to get it down to 4R and really push the levels!!!)

Curious to hear what others think about it, or even have experimented with!
MAIN SYSTEM:Carver TFM-55, Carver C-16, Carver S/DA-490t, Carver TD-1770, BSR-EQ3000, Philips AF-677, Auvio HD Radio Tuner, Polk SDA-1C's

SunnyDaze

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 02:10:40 PM »
Ω

Just cut and paste that next time.

Offline non-prophet

• Audio Connoisseur
  • Peace among worlds
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 02:35:52 PM »
Here is a set in Maine, hope this helps.

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ele/1960415625.html
Duntech PCL-400 (Black Knight), KEF 105/3, Snell Type b
Aloia PST 11.1, Terra Song ss-1, Luxman c-1000, Melos MA333
Llano Phoenix CA-300, White Audio Labs A100, (2) Luxman M4000
McIntosh MA230

Offline confused

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 03:06:48 PM »
Thought I would put in my 2 cents.  I think that it is too  8) that people are talking about the 9's again.  Been playing mine for a couple momths.

They were designed by Janszen  in the fifties, not Kloss as stated in the Boston post.  His son is still in business.  The company started in PA, making tweeters.  

These speakers are 16 ohm, but can be changed to 8 by Janszen if you want to the spend the money (he also does restoration work on the 9's).  They are only rated for 50 watts, and I am driving them with ST70's running in mono to supply about 55 watts into 16 ohms.  My understanding is that you have to put a cap or something in front of them to drive them with ss amps (This doe not make sense to me as the speakers themselves are very capacitive, but after going through the powert supply they are supposed to be resistive).

The sound is transformative, I never thought that 50 year old technology could be as nice as I remembered, I was sure that my memory had sweetened the sound over the years.

I have had or have big Polk, Infinitys, 2ce's, Dahlquist, Belle Klipsch, and numerous others, but there is something special about the nines.  Descent bass (taught but not super low), Mids and trebles to die for, mediocre ultimate loudness (not great rock speakers), Great imaging in 1 small spot,  in short as in all speakers a number of trade offs artfully balanced, and in this case, just to my liking.

I am still awaiting the manuals, when I get them I will let you know the trick to using ss amps with the 9's

V/R,

Dale
Dale

-Still Smoking!-

Offline icravcarver

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 09:04:02 PM »
Thanks.  I have been curious, and they came up the other day in conversation at work.  I have some SDA-1C's, and I know there are better speakers out there, but damn, mine sound so nice, I am not sure if I could ever replace them and get a better setup than I already have.  You know, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Cause sure enough, as soon as I mess with it, I won't get that synergy back!