Author Topic: FS: Carver TFM-24  (Read 5170 times)

Offline paden501

• Audio Geek!
  • Nobody Home
FS: Carver TFM-24
« on: October 22, 2010, 09:38:47 PM »
I've loved my TFM-24 since I bought it off of Tom, but it's time again for a change of pace.  I'm pretty sure I paid $250 for it, so I'll offer it up for the same price.  Anybody interested?

For those who don't know, the TFM-24 is the same amp as the TFM-25, except that it has different meters (not analog).  It's rated at 225WPC @8ohm or 350WPC @4ohm.

Thanks!

~Matt
--- My System ---
Front L/R: Polk Audio SDA-1C w/ Modified xovers
Amp: Carver TFM-24
CD: Jolida JD100a
HTR/Pre: B&K Reference 20
Turntable:Pioneer PL-516 W/ Shure M97xe
Surrounds -Polk Audio Monitor 4As

OldiesButGoodies

Re: FS: Carver TFM-24
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 09:10:32 AM »
That is a good price.  If I had a good excuse I would get it,  but I am over-quota in amps.  I need to get one of these Carvers eventually to help me understand the obsession.

Offline paden501

• Audio Geek!
  • Nobody Home
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 08:35:29 PM »
I might have just talked myself out of selling this... at least for now.  I auditioned Ed's ST-70 today and I think I actually like the Carver a bit better with my setup.

~Matt
--- My System ---

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 03:12:43 PM »
That is a bit of a tough comparison - the ST-70 being a class-A-biased low-power tube-warm, great-for -vocals-and-mids, best matched with very efficient speakers; whereas the Carver is as solid state as they come, a high power beast that will drive wake up any speaker.  Was the bass response better on the Dynaco?   Did the Dynaco do anything better in your system at low volumes?

Offline paden501

• Audio Geek!
  • Nobody Home
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 04:00:11 PM »
That's just the problem OBG, the Dynaco did sound better at low volume, it is warmer and made for great vocals.... it just didn't have the grunt to drive the bass which sounded really thin with my big inefficient speakers.  This is one of those deals where I wish the SDA-1Cs had two sets of binding posts so that I could bi-amp them.   But as it stands, I can't give up the bass presence that the Carver brings. 

Basically I like the tube sound, but I'll need to look for a higher power solution to pair with these speakers.  Since I'm nowhere near finding that, I'll stick with the Carver for a while longer.

~Matt
--- My System ---

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 04:20:30 PM »
That makes sense.  Thanks for the clarification!