Author Topic: Power Amp shoot out!!! at Mike's house. with contest and prize.  (Read 7880 times)

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
Power Amp shoot out!!! at Mike's house. with contest and prize.
« on: October 08, 2010, 12:26:20 AM »
  I am having a power amp shoot out.  :o :o :o I will post the results on Monday. The contenders for the Title are as follows.
a pair of Denon POA-6600A mono blocks,
a pair of NAD 2200 PE stereo amps, or mono blocks.
a Phase Linear DRS-900
a Harman Kardon PA-2200
a Sunfire 300x2
a McCORMACK DNA-1
a Onkyo M-504

A very nice collection of power amps... ;D
So I will only post my top 3 picks. I do not want to piss off, anyone who owns one that I don't like. Just for fun, if you folks want to, Anyone who picks my favorite 3 in the correct order, will win a Sony CDP-297 CD player.. It works great, looks so-so no remote. Lightly modded by me.
 But you must pick in order my top 3.  You have till I finish my review and post it on Monday eve.

P.S. LITTLE MIKEY IS NOT ELIGIBLE, SORRY DUDE, IT IS NOT FAIR TO THE OTHERS.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 08:33:33 PM by falcon377 »

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
Re: Power Amp shoot out!!! at Mike's house. with contest and award.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 12:54:15 AM »
 The listening will be with a Melos MA-111B tube pre-amp, a Myryad T-20 CD player and B&W 802 SERIES 80 speakers, and Snell type B speakers. M.I.T. I/C and speaker cables.
  All of the amps are tested to be in original specs. Music is red-book CD'S, by Porcupine Tree, Pink Floyd, Diana Krall, Lee Ritenour, and the Eagles.
   This is not a hi-tech review. Just my system, my house, MY EARS. And my opinion.. Your opinion may differ from mine. I don't care.
Anybody in the area is welcome to stop over and give a listen.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 09:19:48 AM »
It will go Sunfire, Mccormack, Nads in mono
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 09:40:48 AM by sPeCiAl eD »
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 09:25:31 AM »
Also, I have an open offer of the Dynaco ST70 and Nakamichi PA-5 for that Mccormack. I know Pepe isn't interested in the trade, but if any other future owner is, let me know!
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • Ready For Intervention!
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 06:51:43 PM »
I am staying out of this one. :o
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 07:48:36 PM »
I don't know crap...I'm too far away...however I bet the Sunfire ends up in the top 3.... ;D
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

OldiesButGoodies

Re: Power Amp shoot out!!! at Mike's house. with contest and prize.
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 09:23:43 AM »
McCormack, Sunfire, Denon.  My sense is that the other amps are good but in a different league.  On the other hand it also may come down to which amp presents the the nicest load to the Melos impedance wise so the pre's signal gets eff transferred to the power with full freq resp.  My take - will await the outcome Monday eve!

Pepe

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
Power Amp shoot out!!! at Mike's house. THE VERDICT IS IN
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 09:07:55 PM »
    The verdict is in.

Remember, this is just my opinion, of my amps, in my system, in my house. As I said, I will only post my favorite 3. I do not want to piss someone off, because I don't like there favorite amp.

Here we go.
      If the results were based on looks alone, the Onkyo M-504 would win. This amp is a sight to behold, build quality is very good. Overall sound quality is again, very good. Low frequency response is powerful, and just sounds right. Mid's, and treble again sound very good. And, who does not love the 2 big green meters!! To be honest, I probably rated this one a little higher, based on looks, and the fact that I really wanted one for a long time. In contrast, I probably rated the NAD 2200 PE amps a little lower based on ugly looks, and my past experience with less than reliable NAD products.

The 2 Denon POA-6600A mono blocks. Build quality is excellent. Powerful is the first word that comes to me about these amps. They sound excellent, Low frequency's will slam you in the chest, IF, your speakers can handle it. 60 amps of peak current, and Huge power supply filter caps = headroom galore. I could easily live with these amps.

Mccormack DNA-1, holy crap is this a well designed amp. Build quality is amazing! The design is first class. These do not have huge power supply filter caps, Instead Mr. Mccormack decided to put a 80v 4700uf cap right beside each individual output transistor.. There are 8 outputs per channel. This gives it a capacitance of 37,600 uf per channel, with a very high current transformer, (65 amps peak) This amp has extreme headroom. Rated at 150 watts per channel, it easily outperforms other, more powerful amps. The sound quality is superb, this amp gets everything right. Low frequency's are delivered with authority, the mid-range is lush, treble is perfect, never grainy or harsh like alot of other solid state amp's. If I could only ever have one of the amps in this review, this is the one I would choose.

So, there it is, short and sweet. Nobody really wanted to play along and guess the outcome, so there is no winner of the Sony CD player.
  The final results are,
  1)  Mccormack DNA-1
  2)  Denon POA-6600A mono blocks
  3)  Onkyo M-504 

Hope you all enjoyed this little review, I know I sure enjoyed the listening. By the way, most of these amps are now for sale.... or trade, Tom has dibs.

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 09:14:27 PM »
A few pics.

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 10:21:17 PM »
Very nice write up Mike!  I would love to see those meters.  Post a pic ;D  Of course, I need to get my busy ass up there soon!!
Carl

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 10:40:50 PM »
The Onkyo made the top 3!!!!??  That is unexpected,  at least for me.  Now I have to try one of those just to check it off the list.  Thanks for the write up,  joy to read.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 11:32:45 PM »
The Onkyo made the top 3!!!!??  That is unexpected,  at least for me.  Now I have to try one of those just to check it off the list.  Thanks for the write up,  joy to read.

WOO HOO! This makes me proud to be rocking an Onkyo Integra M-504 / P-304 setup.

GO ONKYO! :)

I've used mine nearly every day since '03 and they just keep coming back for more.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 02:32:14 AM »
Very nice write up Mike!  I would love to see those meters.  Post a pic ;D  Of course, I need to get my busy ass up there soon!!

Sometimes I find myself meter-watching as opposed to music-listening.

It's equally hypnotic. Err, was, as I need new bulbs.

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 06:13:47 AM »
I can't believe the Sunfire didn't even make the top 3.  :o
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!