Author Topic: Re-belting the counter on the RT-707  (Read 9980 times)

OldiesButGoodies

Re-belting the counter on the RT-707
« on: November 13, 2010, 11:07:31 PM »
What a pain in the ass!!  (but it works - now I need a direction indicator lamp)

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
Re: Re-belting the counter on the RT-707
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 12:18:35 AM »
Nice job!  How long did it take you?  I think that I did mine some time ago. but the counter stopped working again!!!
Carl

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 02:20:13 AM »
I am trying to find a direct replacement. It is a funky voltage.
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 08:28:36 AM »
About an hour an a half. I got home at 8:30 last night,  started listening to a reel,  then decided to get the counter working because a song that I liked was buried in the middle of that reel and it was a pain to find.  I finished around 10:30 an was listening to the song by 10:45. 

My lessons learned for next time I replace it:
1. Loop the belt around the main pulley (by the spindle) before looping into counter.  Not doing so forces you to stretch the belt to getover the flywheel.
2. If you have the patience, take time to seat the belt squarely into the v-groove of both pulleys without any twists (this is way harder than it sounds).
3. Use blue tack to hold the tiny screw that holds the counter on the left side while reseating it.  That damn screw fell off twice - the first time it was easy to find,  the second it got stuck in the mace of cables and boards inside the 707 and I wasted 25 minutes looking for that stupid screw - had to remove the bottom plate.  On the plus side,  I cleaned parts of the 707 that had not seen light for a while. 

I now feel for Tom,  who replaced all the belts in my CTF-1250 cassette deck.  If this was a pain,  that must have been twice the headache because it has a bunch of belts. 

Happy Sunday,

Pepe

Offline Spin

• FNG !!!
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 03:04:18 PM »
....but it works - now I need a direction indicator lamp....

Did you ever get the Pioneer RT-707 "Direction Indictor" lamp replaced?

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 03:30:18 PM »
Yes.  If I were to do it again today I would use LEDs. That is what I will do when the next light on my current 707 dies. 

Offline Spin

• FNG !!!
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 04:58:22 PM »
Well that's good that you were able to get it replaced. I own three (used to own four at one time) of the classic Pioneer RT-707 reel to reels and in my opinion they are probably tops, if not the best in their class category in 7' reel to reels. Very well designed, built like tanks and still plenty of parts available. I first purchase one back in 1980, brand new in the box and still have it to this very day. My Pioneer RT-707's  still play reel tapes that I recorded music back in the 80's. Yes the Pioneer RT- series reel to reels (RT-701 & RT-707, RT-901 & RT-909 own one of each of these as well) are excellent, one cannot go wrong with them.
As for replacing the lamp(s) I was asking because here is a website that offers LED replacements for the Direction Indicator lamps. I have purchased the kit and it is very basic, simple instructions that just about anyone can perform on making the switch. Maybe you have already heard of this place? Anyway this is just a suggestion for consideration to offer you an alternative. :)

http://www.wjoe.com/all_lamps.htm

Offline schwarcw

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 08:28:57 PM »
Greetings Spin!

Thanks for the info and welcome to the Forum!  I own a 707 and love it.  Have not owned a 909.  I stumbled on a Teac X-2000R about five years ago for $100.  It was in perfect cosmetic and operating condition.  That satisfied my itch for a 10" player.

I will admit the Revox A-77 brings a little rush to my loins every time that I see a nice one.
Carl

Offline Spin

• FNG !!!
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 08:50:31 PM »
Thanks for the welcome!  ;D

The Teac X-2000 reel to reel is good, no doubt about it and yes the Revox is another exceptional reel to reel, hope to get own one, one of these days soon.
I also have, in my humble collection of reel to reels, two Teac X-1000R's in black. Recently on one of them I changed the original black VU meters to white and it stands out even more so. I also have two Teac A-4010S  7' reel to reels.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 08:44:11 AM »
Welcome, Spin from another R to R fan
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline schwarcw

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 11:48:02 AM »
Recently on one of them I changed the original black VU meters to white and it stands out even more so.

I was tempted to change the metters also to make them stand out.  Instead, I installed blue LED lights in the meters and light bar.  Check it out:

Carl

Offline schwarcw

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 11:50:52 AM »
The blue LEDs really make the meters stand out, the photo doesn't do it justice.  Also, the light bar has blue LEDs.  It's hard to see in the photo, but the clear plastic dials around the knobs also glow blue.  Looks great in the dark!
Carl

Offline Spin

• FNG !!!
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 02:11:01 PM »
Here are some pictures of my RT-1000R with the changed VU meters from black to white.

Offline Spin

• FNG !!!
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 02:13:19 PM »
Correction on the previous post, it is a Teac X-1000R reel to reel not RT- (thats Pioneer) also one last picture.

Offline Spin

• FNG !!!
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2014, 02:22:45 PM »
Here's a quick picture of the other Teac X-1000RBL and one of my Pioneer RT-707's  that I have in one of my racked audio systems.