Author Topic: My new Rogue 99 with the Magnum Upgrades is here!  (Read 5218 times)

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
My new Rogue 99 with the Magnum Upgrades is here!
« on: November 22, 2009, 09:49:38 PM »
I picked up my Rogue 99 that Tom shipped by to the Rogue factory last week.  It may have had a cooked resistor but since it was going into the garage anyway, I had Tom inquire about the Magnum mods.  Well it came back with four big Mundorf Supreme caps, new ceramic tube bases with gold receptacles, a new power supply inside the unit, and the outboard power supply was repaired or replaced.  The outboard supply had a mechanical hum which was not audible in the signal but you could also feel with your hand when you touched the unit.  I also had Rogue provide a matched quad of NOS RCA 6SN7's.  The unit sounded excellent out of the box, but as it is breaking in the Rogue is sounding better and better.  It continues to get smoother with more refinement (detail) and improved imaging.  It has a deep and wide soundstage.  The unit has tons of gain.  I have an outboard Hagerman phono pre going into the Rogue, a McIntosh tuner and a Modwright Sony 999 CD player with the Platinum mods (Class A tube ouput, tube rectified power supply, Clock upgrade, Bybee filters, upgrades coupling caps, etc.).  I've been playing the pants of my system for the past five days. 

Tom my me a great deal on this preamp and jumped to my rescue when the unit developed a problem.  Thanks for the help and for a great deal on a wonderful preamp! :-*

Carl
Carl

Offline thuffman03

• Zen Master
  • CarverFest Evictee
Re: My new Rogue 99 with the Magnum Upgrades is here!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 10:22:29 PM »
Carl...That is one hell of a preamp.  I wish I had the chance to hear it after the Magnum upgrade.
Got Carver?

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 11:10:43 PM »
I hope to get another one soon. Awesome unit. 
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

BB3

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 02:17:12 PM »
Carl, that is truly a beautiful pre-amp you've got there and that's probably an understatement.

One thing's for sure and if you didn't know it before, you know it now.......You Can Always Count On Tom, No Matter What. 8)

Take Care Carl and Happy Listening.-----BILL

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 11:07:56 PM »
Thanks for the well wishes guys!  I really enjoy vintage hi fi.  Good music and good people make for a great time with the hobby.

Rock on wit yo bad self!
Carl