Author Topic: Networked External HD  (Read 2357 times)

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
Networked External HD
« on: March 02, 2011, 05:23:58 PM »
Not sure if this is the right category for this subject, but here goes.
I have all of my music on an external hard drive and I want to make it wireless. It would be cool to be able to have my laptop in front of me while I'm listening to music. i can't do that right now because it's stuck to the hard drive which needs to be plugged in. I'm not sure what the best way to do this is. I'm guessing somehow connecting it to my home network will be the best bet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ed
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
Re: Networked External HD
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 08:34:05 PM »
I dunno???? How can a hard drive be linked through a wireless router so you can see what is on it on a laptop? Has to be a program somewhere to do that.
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline Steve_Rynn

• FNG !!!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 10:35:58 PM »
I think a network storage device would work. This is an example, but there may be some that connect right to an external you already have

http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DNS-323-Network-Attached-Enclosure/dp/B000GK8LVE

Offline OconeeOrange

• Double Secret Probation!
  • South Carolina RedNeck
    • YardCrap
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 07:14:58 PM »
Not sure if this is the right category for this subject, but here goes.
I have all of my music on an external hard drive and I want to make it wireless. It would be cool to be able to have my laptop in front of me while I'm listening to music. i can't do that right now because it's stuck to the hard drive which needs to be plugged in. I'm not sure what the best way to do this is. I'm guessing somehow connecting it to my home network will be the best bet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ed

I just came across a new one this week.  I will look it up for you.
These have been around for some time.  Some you can hook into your NAS or router, and some more simple.
The downsides for me have been my worry as to music quality, and a good way to access and control the tunes.

I mostly play my tunes from a computer I put together for that with a SSD drive.  I have my tunes on an external 2 1/2" sata drive to keep the hard drive noise and heat out of the box. Still, pulling up tunes from other computers on my home net work over Ethernet cable seem to be just as good.

Wireless is a different game for reasons I mentioned.

I will get back to you, or email me at yardcrap  @  yahoo

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 12:39:34 AM »
HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable