Author Topic: My new polk speakers  (Read 20261 times)

Offline OconeeOrange

• Double Secret Probation!
  • South Carolina RedNeck
    • YardCrap
Re: My new polk speakers
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2011, 06:06:28 PM »
F1 has a lot to offer. Especially when it comes to Polk. He just lacks tact. He'll get it eventually :D :D

Where the hell have you been -  :o

Offline OconeeOrange

• South Carolina RedNeck
    • YardCrap
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2011, 06:16:06 PM »
Jesse (can I call him that as I never met the guy) likes to shock to prove he knows more than anyone.
He does seem to know a lot, but --   ::)

I have a lot of varied Polk speakers.
I think they are the best value from mass market things.
Let me think - I have 9.  :D
Mass market does not mean less, and often more bang for the buck.
A lot of "high end" can't hold their own with them except to the fools who buy "names".

Just like the old VW, since they are so popular, many tweaks come a long.  That is a good thing.

Congrats to you guy -- 

OO

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2011, 08:15:00 PM »
F1Nut made my Monitor 5s sound a lot better by suggesting the RDOs and key x-over tweaks,  and challenged my cheapness by frowning on inexpensive caps.   I still have a pair of mint RDOs for sale,  by the way!   

Now I should to get back to the Mortite upgrade I am doing to the Proacs...

(jk)

hmmm  8PM - maybe I should start packing...

OBG

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2011, 11:21:55 PM »
Yeah Bill, you can call me by my real name.

I do not shock to prove I know more than anyone. I tend to be blunt as I'm a man of few words, both in person and online. Some folks can't appreciate that and seem to have a need to have their hand held, which isn't my problem. Unlike most folks, you'll always know where I stand.

OBG, I'm glad you are pleased with the results.

'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline OconeeOrange

• South Carolina RedNeck
    • YardCrap
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2011, 02:44:31 PM »
Yeah Bill, you can call me by my real name.

Good deal.  I kinda think I know you as I have seen your photos at places and read your threads on different forums. 
There is still room for you in Cabin #5 this year.  We are going to have fun !!!

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2011, 04:25:31 PM »
F1Nut made my Monitor 5s sound a lot better by suggesting the RDOs and key x-over tweaks,  and challenged my cheapness by frowning on inexpensive caps.   I still have a pair of mint RDOs for sale,  by the way!   

Now I should to get back to the Mortite upgrade I am doing to the Proacs...

(jk)

hmmm  8PM - maybe I should start packing...

OBG

OBG Are those RDO tweeters the ones you are selling for $50 a pair??   If so I will buy them for Little Mikey

Offline Zoot Horn

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2011, 08:55:28 PM »

OBG Are those RDO tweeters the ones you are selling for $50 a pair??   If so I will buy them for Little Mikey
[/quote]

Make sure that you replace the tweeters with the RDO 198's.Next up will be some sonicaps to add to the recipe',, enjoy those speakers.They were my first pair of Polk floorstanders. 8)

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2011, 01:09:47 AM »
There is still room for you in Cabin #5 this year.  We are going to have fun !!!

Thanks Bill, I'll keep it in mind.
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline icravcarver

• Vinyl is better than ever!!!!
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2011, 10:33:13 PM »
Definitely spike those baby's.  I just spiked my SDA-1C's a couple of weeks ago (I know, it is sacralidge (spelling?)), but one of the bottom risers that were on one of my speakers was starting to fall apart, so I figured, why not try it.  Nice improvement, and relatively inexpensive.  It is suttle, but there is a difference in the sound! 8)
MAIN SYSTEM:Carver TFM-55, Carver C-16, Carver S/DA-490t, Carver TD-1770, BSR-EQ3000, Philips AF-677, Auvio HD Radio Tuner, Polk SDA-1C's
Man Cave: HR-772, Technics SL-P220, Polk Monitor 12 Series 2
Bedroom: Cheap ass Teac Receiver, Klipsch Heresy II's
Porch: Kenwood KR-820 Receiver, Optimus STS 100

Offline OconeeOrange

• South Carolina RedNeck
    • YardCrap
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2011, 03:46:30 PM »
Definitely spike those baby's.  I just spiked my SDA-1C's a couple of weeks ago (I know, it is sacralidge (spelling?)), but one of the bottom risers that were on one of my speakers was starting to fall apart, so I figured, why not try it.  Nice improvement, and relatively inexpensive.  It is suttle, but there is a difference in the sound! 8)

This month I got in a tube pre that came on spikes with metal disks to put under them if you need that.

I have a decent set up.  I tried them both and cannot hear a difference.  I did fire a lot of cannon in the war, so that may just be me.
I think the difference may be things like are you on carpet, glass, wood, etc.
Different things will work here and there.
I keep putting up, (many hope I will stop) often it is better if we can isolate the equipment from other things.  Some claim that me dancing around will have effect on my Rega 5, not to mention taking me out of the sweet spot, but what the hell !!  I play music, I drink beer and I dance on the way to the john.

Buy this, or something like this, many options are out there.
This looks high, but a sheet will do all your stuff, including those sub woofers and speakers which really can benefit from it.  A little goes a long way.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2011, 06:11:50 AM »
The tweets I have for sale Are the rdo-194s, which are a Polk-sourced upgrade to the sl-2000s and SL-1000s. The Rdo-198s replace the Sl-2500 and 3000.

Obg