Author Topic: Ebay / Craigslist scammers. List them here.  (Read 36448 times)

Offline audiokingman

• FNG !!!
Re: Ebay / Craigslist scammers. List them here.
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2015, 10:43:06 PM »
Anyone know anything about the CL lister in Monroeville?

You will know his ad as it reads like a whos-who of the 70's hi-fi era...

But maybe, maybe - if you're really, REALLY lucky - you will get a one syllable answer to a buy inquiry. Most of the time - nothing at all.

Sure makes me wonder...

Last year, when I first seen his long post, I contacted him and actually went and met him at a storage facility in Monroeville.
He was sort of strange and said he was maybe moving to China to work in the nuclear industry or something...
Anyway, a lot of his stuff was OK, but a lot needed work done to them.

When I again seen his ad a year later, I contacted him asking why he just simply lists items without any description or prices. He just says "let me know what you want, and we can then talk about it".
Most of the prices he gave me were not very attractive. No wonder his list of equipment hasn't changed in over a year.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2016, 06:05:14 PM »
I've probably sold 30 or more times on CL and just today got my first scam response.   Anyone into jerking these people around, have fun with this address...

I am going to have the cancer checked today since i missed the last appt, ugh i was kicking my self hard on that one, I could meet with you to finalize the purchase anytime After 4pm Please let me know what would work for you,meeting somewhere or coming to your place is fine by me. I can be best reached at katherinedwa@gmail.com or you can text/call me with more information.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2016, 04:21:52 PM »
I just got another one.   Maybe "Mirage" is a keyword for scambots...

Hi.
I just viewed your advert posted. I will be glad to meet you today to look at it between 5:30-6:30pm. I work nights at my shift starts at 7:30 pm. Tomorrow is my off day and I can come around then check it out on Monday anytime after 6:30am, i have to pick somebody up from the airport at 8:45pm. Could you possibly show it to me tomorrow? Let me know what time i can come to take a look it, i want to be sure if it's still in great condition before i purchase it and i'm ready to pay in cash...You can email me here @ johnsonbruce2016@gmail.com . Let me know. Thanks!

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

bmwr75

« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2016, 08:24:36 PM »
How do you know these are scammers?  The grammar and spelling are much better than any of the obvious scam replies I've received to CL ads.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2016, 09:18:43 PM »
Funny you should ask.   I just got another with the exact same body but a different email address...

Hi.
I just viewed your advert posted. I will be glad to meet you today to look at it between 4:30-7:30pm. I work nights at my shift starts at 8:30 pm. Tomorrow is my off day and I can come around then check it out on anytime tomorrow after 11:30am, i have to pick somebody up from the airport at 9:45am. Could you possibly show it to me tomorrow? Let me know what time i can come to take a look it, i want to be sure that this item is still in great condition before i purchase it and i'm ready to pay in cash...You can email me here @ BowerTabbhe@hotmail.com. Let me know. Thanks!

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

Plus the language of these is very similar to some responses I got to inquiries on too good to be true listings when I was used car shopping.   Nobody in Pittsburgh says "I saw your advert".

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2016, 12:09:53 AM »
Okay, is it one of you guys?   I just got this...

I would be chanced to look up this item after church meeting today.Tomorrow is going to be a busy day for me and i wont be available.Is 6 to 8pm today a good time for me to view/negotiate and perhaps pick up the item if we can agree on something.I wouldnt mind meeting you today at your convenience. Please let me know what would work for you today.Meeting somewhere around or coming to your place is prefarable. Do you mind sharing a phone number with me too so we can set up a time to meet and What is your bottom dollar for it. Best way to get hold of me is @ BowerTabbhe@hotmail.com or call me asap in order to set up something. Hope to hear from you soon. Thank You

Sent from my HTC

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2016, 06:29:50 AM »
Have you replied and if so what response do you get?
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

bearjew

« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2016, 08:01:52 AM »
Okay, is it one of you guys?   I just got this...

I doubt it's one of us, but this definitely made me laugh.  If it was one of us, we would just be offering 3.50 for whatever it is that you're selling.

bmwr75

« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2016, 09:04:21 AM »
Funny you should ask.   I just got another with the exact same body but a different email address...

Plus the language of these is very similar to some responses I got to inquiries on too good to be true listings when I was used car shopping.   Nobody in Pittsburgh says "I saw your advert".

OK, got it.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2016, 09:57:06 AM »
Have you replied and if so what response do you get?

Nope.   I have a hard enough time lining up legit buyers.   I can't waste my time on these.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2017, 10:07:23 PM »
I submit ebay user widerangesound for the buyers to avoid hall of fame. 

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2017, 08:16:02 AM »
I submit ebay user widerangesound for the buyers to avoid hall of fame.

Too many listings to pick out yours, and 100% feedback.   What happened with your transaction?

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2017, 09:30:26 PM »
Not necessarily a scammer, but I'd avoid rarewaves on eBay. They have a good habit of botching their titles. I nearly bought a CD boxset when I was led to believe it was vinyl. Asker the seller, they said CD and didn't respond to a follow question. They also had the same listing in their UK store a couple bucks more, but same shipping location. Emailed them, an hour later the listing disappeared and I never heard back from them.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2017, 09:33:00 PM »
I've bought lots of stuff cheap from them and never had an issue.   Same with Import CDs.   Seems one of the two of them is usually lowest on any given vinyl reissue.   I'm pretty sure rarewaves is where I got my ITCOTCK.

Offline non-prophet

• Audio Connoisseur
  • Peace among worlds
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2017, 11:46:43 AM »
Have to agree with Mark, never had an issue.  But, it's how you handle a problem that makes you a good or bad business.  Hopefully, they will do the right thing and correct the mistake.
Duntech PCL-400 (Black Knight), KEF 105/3, Snell Type b
Aloia PST 11.1, Terra Song ss-1, Luxman c-1000, Melos MA333
Llano Phoenix CA-300, White Audio Labs A100, (2) Luxman M4000
McIntosh MA230