Author Topic: La Revista: Stax SR-5 / SRD-6  (Read 13507 times)

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
Re: La Revista: Stax SR-5 / SRD-6
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 11:38:05 PM »
Congrats SD!  Tom is the best! :-*  He has enhanced my audio experiences enormously!
Carl

bmwr75

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2011, 06:56:22 AM »
OBG,

Check out this thread on HeadFi about using vintage receivers/intergrateds as HP amps.  If SkyLab praises a HP amp, you know its good.  He stated in this thread that a Pioneer SX-1250 is a better HP amp than any standalone amp he has heard for $600 or less (what he paid for the 1250 IIRC).

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/537704/calling-all-vintage-integrated-receiver-owners

Scott

Scott - good to hear you are enjoying the 7000 - I remember you mentioned you were planning to use it as a headphone amp.

Thinking about it,  headphones (it feels to me) played a much bigger role with mid-to-high end audio in the 60s and 70s,  so I assume the headphone circuitry should have gotten more attention back then,  so I would theorize (with no data to back it up) that older vintage receivers have better than average can outputs.

Tom probably knows for sure.

I understand that listening to music through headphones tends to be less dangerous than speakers (reduced to damaged the ears),  because one tends to be able to chose lower listening volumes than speakers while still enjoying the full dynamic range of music.  Maybe that is a reason to get into cans.

OBG

SunnyDaze

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2011, 08:58:11 AM »
This is great, Scott. I always wonder what the output specs are on my Onkyo Integra M-304 preamp. I will say that it drove my 300 ohm HV-1's with less effort than a FUBAR.

Maybe there IS some hope for running 800/600's from my 304! You know I try to avoid Head-Fi, but Skylab is one of the good eggs in that basket. Thanks for the link!

Anders

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2011, 09:56:31 AM »
Many years ago I went into Opus One downtown with $200 and ready to spend more on great sounding headphones.
I listened to all the Sennheisers and ended up buying the $40 HD40's as they had the best balance.
I still have them on my computer and use them everyday.

Anders