Author Topic: Suggestions for a component CD player, Pre-Amp (if necessary), and Line Condit.  (Read 5449 times)

Offline Ajdma2za

• FNG !!!
I'm looking for a component CD player, Pre-Amp, and a Line conditioner, in order of importance.

I'm currently using a PS3 for my audio.

My system is:

Klipsch RF-83
Klipsch RC-64
Klipsch RS-7
Klipsch RB-81
Klipsch RT-10D
Sunfire True Sub Mark II
Denon AVR-4308
Parasound 5250

I want a CD player I'm actually going to hear a difference vs the PS3. I had a California Audio Labs Icon MK II that I sold on Ebay, because it didn't to me, sound better than the PS3. Tom has suggested a Myriad T-20 which I'm more than willing to try, but on a budget of about $500, is that the best I can score?

Should I be interested in a Pre-Amp too? AVSforums hasn't given me much advice, instead most people are arguing about things, and it's kind of annoying.

The last thing I'm interested in is a line conditioner. I'm not really buying into Paramax and Monster, so where should I be looking? Is line filtration important? My local home theater guru (Audio Classics--home of McIntosh) tells me that anything above "stage 1" of line filtration isn't important. Whats the opinion of people here?

Let me know.

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
I run a Carver 390t, but I suggest a newer Jolida 100. I'm hunting one for the right price now and I've heard them. Very accurate. However...the Carver 390t and 490t are great players also. Think..."TUBES"!!!!  8)    :P    8)
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline Ajdma2za

• FNG !!!
The carver 490T sounds nice, but only one on ebay, and its near $800 lol. The Jolida 100 is cheaper, around $350. Any reason for that?

bmwr75

The stuff you are running is nice!!

Are you using the analog out of the PS3 (assuming it has one) or the digital out to your Denon?

I'd say don't waste your money on power conditioning.  I've got a bunch of Monster and Panamax stuff just for the convenience of having lots of plug ins and the hope of surge protection.

What's wrong with the preamp on your Denon?  I have a 4308CI pushing Klipsch speakers and think it sounds very good in comparison to the other separates systems I have.

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
I'd say don't waste your money on power conditioning.
...Agree...money better spent elsewhere.
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • Ready For Intervention!
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
I will have a Carver SD/A-450 here in about five days.  That is a budget player that sounds great.  Also look for a Philips CD-80.
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline Ajdma2za

• FNG !!!
What about an Oppo 95? I've read good things about that. If I wanted to go up to $1000, is that the best option? Also what else would my money be better spent on?

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • Ready For Intervention!
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
Jolida!
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

SunnyDaze

I agree with bmwr75. Your current gear probably sounds FAR from horrible.

Line conditioning, schmine conditioning.

CD Player? When a deal pops up, snag it. If you don't like how it sounds, sell it. Eventually, you'll find one you dig. Don't be in a hurry, and have fun!

A pre-amp? You should get one when your needs or interests necessitate one.  :o :o
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 09:42:27 PM by SunnyDaze »

Offline Turtle

• Basshole!
For line conditioning (whether you think that makes a difference in sonics or not) or convenient power surge protection, I highly recommend the APC H10 or H15.  Reasonably priced without any hype.
When I die I hope my wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

Marantz SA15S2/Rega P3, Parasound P3, Parasound A21, Monitor Audio RS6

SunnyDaze

True. Don't take my word for it. I may have absurdly clean power (Thanks, Carl!). You may hear or even think you hear a difference. The two latter cases are typically equivalent.  ;D ;D

Offline dyeraudio

• FNG !!!
  • OCCD Victim
I'm running a 490t as well......rolling different tubes right now.....THAT I can tell you is fun  ;D.......If I was buying new I'd look at the Jolida.....
CT-29V, TFM-45, SD/A 490t, LINN Keilidh, PS Audio Statement cables, APC 600 Line-R, Vibra-Cones

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
What exactly are you trying to accomplish as I see your rig as one geared toward HT rather than 2 channel.
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline non-prophet

• Audio Connoisseur
  • Peace among worlds
I agree with f1nut, you are geared toward HT.  Buy a great DAC with that money and use your PS3 as the transport and you will also be able to process your digital media off of a computer, Apple TV or whatever... CDs are on their way out!!!  And power conditioners make a difference.  Welcome to our madness.
Duntech PCL-400 (Black Knight), KEF 105/3, Snell Type b
Aloia PST 11.1, Terra Song ss-1, Luxman c-1000, Melos MA333
Llano Phoenix CA-300, White Audio Labs A100, (2) Luxman M4000
McIntosh MA230

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
Power conditioners make a difference..  In this house due to the way the wiring is, if my wife runs a blender, or electric knife, if my gear is plugged in to my Monster power hts-3600 I can not tell...  If, not plugged in to the power filter, I get a rumble through the amp!!
  Anyone in doubt, is welcome to come hear it.
 So, try to buy a used one, if you don't need it or like it just sell it on epay.