Author Topic: Grado F1+ stylus  (Read 8226 times)

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
Grado F1+ stylus
« on: May 15, 2011, 08:43:47 AM »
So, I opened the door to my TT and saw that my son decided to play with my TT. In the process he destroyed a brand new record and broke the cantilever off of my stylus. I'm just wondering if anyone has a replacement Grado F1+ stylus they would consider selling. They are $85 online, but I figured I'd check to see if anyone has a slightly used one for a slightly lower price.
Thanks,
Ed
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline wkhanna

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
Re: Grado F1+ stylus
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 04:21:40 PM »
Sorry about your woe's, Ed!

Best price I could find on a replacement is no different http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=LG&Category_Code=GRA.

I do have a used Grado Green around here somewhere your more than welcome to, if you want it.
It will at least allow you to keep spinning till you get a replacement.
....just an "ON" switch, Please!

SunnyDaze

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 04:27:36 PM »
The F1 is comparable to the "Silver" line in current production. I'm going to be ordering a replacement "Gold" stylus sooner than later. If you'd like my old "Blue" stylus, you're more than welcome. It's got some life left in it. I don't know if it'll work in that cartridge though.

Also, there's an Empire LTD 500 on the POS Numark TT at the shop which came off of my CS 604. If Tom will part with it, it's a more than capable budget cartridge.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 04:37:16 PM by SunnyDaze »

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 04:37:02 PM »
Hmmm. You got me thinking SD. Maybe I'll put a gold stylus in the f1+ body.... Think it will work? They all look the same.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 04:38:39 PM »
That's my question too, Ed.

Perhaps someone who is a bit more of a vinyl junkie than myself can help with this one.

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 04:54:20 PM »
Hey Ed, I have a few various carts around in good condition, you can have one if you want it.  It will at least get you by for awhile.  I have some Shure, and a brand new Pickering, and some others.  Let me know if you want one. 

Mike

Offline wkhanna

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 07:39:54 PM »
After doing some research here is what I came up with:

There's an outfit in the UK that makes line-contact replacement styli for Grado carts. Lotsa stuff on the Vinyl Engine about this, supposedly a huge upgrade for any Grado with a user-replaceable stylus.
I think the company is Expert Stylus; it doesn't have a website but can be contacted by email. The replacement styli weren't outrageously expensive last time I read anything about them, more than a regular Grado but not a whole lot more.

I did a search and came up with this email address: info@expertstylus.co.uk

Otherwise, IMHO, you’re better off getting a new cartridge.

Affordable & recomended by 1200 owners:

Audio Technica AT95e $50
Nagaoka MP 100 $72
Shure M97XE $89 (it can pay to shop around for this one, often priced less elsewhere)
Nagaoka MP 110 $99
Ortofon 2M Red $99
Denon DL-110 $139 (output may be too low for some phono preamps)
Shure M97XE $55
Audio-Technica 120E $70
Grado Prestige Green $80
Grado Prestige Red $110
Grado Prestige Blue $110

The best prices can usually be found at J&R or LP Gear.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 08:01:38 PM »
Wow! Thanks for the help wk... Just out of curiosity, why would you recommend a different cart all together? I have thought about getting the shure before, but kind of figured my grado was better. There's a guy on c-list with a Sumiko Blue Point No. 2 for $99. You seem to know alot more about this than me. If you think I should go for a different cart, that's probably what I'll do.

Offline wkhanna

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 09:15:47 PM »
....why would you recommend a different cart all together?

Cuz for the same or a tad bit more than the replacement stylus will cost you can get better cart.

....There's a guy on c-list with a Sumiko Blue Point No. 2 for $99.

IMHO, I would stay away from the Blue Point(less). Very few folks who have it have had good things to say. Seems to be V system dependant. With a DD table, probably not the best choice. JMHO YMMV

When you figure out what you want let me know & I will be glad to help you get it mounted & properly aligned. Even a $3K cart will sound like crap if it is not set up properly.

And then get a Big roll of duck tape, works great on my grandchildren. ;)

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 09:32:20 PM »
I think I will go ahead and order the shure. I'll wait a day for additional input just to be sure I'm heading in the right direction. From what I've read it's a bit of a giant killer.
As far as duct tape... I like the idea (thought of it a couple times myself) just not too sure the wife or children services would like it that all to much.  :o    I think I'm just going to remove the headshell and lock the arm when I'm done from now on. I try to keep the rugrat in view at all times but he's a slippery one.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 12:53:47 PM »
My Shure M97 crapped out and I sent it back under warranty (after only two mths).  That was six weeks ago,  have not heard from them.