Author Topic: Hello from Penn Hills  (Read 9788 times)

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Hello from Penn Hills
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 12:39:00 PM »
There are a lot of good "East End" people on the Forum, who judging from your posts are about the same age ;D

I'm 44, but they say you are only as old as you feel.

I'm so screwed!

Offline Reverend

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2011, 01:24:44 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

Offline vintedge

• Double Secret Probation!
  • So many Good guitars..So few Good Fingernails...
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 02:26:59 PM »
Welcome to the forum 8)
MMF-5 TT, DP-45 TT, Carver490T, Quicksilver Mono 60s, C5, Luxman R-1120, 2 Sony cd Jukeboxes, TX-11b, Mac MC2300, Aerial acoustic 8b, ML Vista, MVP-871, Dynaco St-35, Pas3, Mac C31v,Thiel CS-3.5, , Yamaha SS amps(2), 10" Klipsch - 8" JBL SWs, Advent 6003,LAdvents (4), Akai 285D R-R

Offline thuffman03

• Zen Master
  • CarverFest Evictee
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 04:36:42 PM »
Welcome to the forum!
Got Carver?

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2011, 10:53:03 PM »
There are a lot of good "East End" people on the Forum, who judging from your posts are about the same age ;D

I'm 44, but they say you are only as old as you feel.

I'd say there a quite a few of the same age or even older :'(

I'm so screwed!
Carl

SunnyDaze

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2011, 12:27:04 AM »
I love your avatar, SunnyDaze.

Well thanks.

If you're going to any upcoming meetings, let me know. I can bring a set of SR325is's if you're interested in hearing them.

Or, several other cans, up to and including Stax SR-5's.

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2011, 07:53:29 AM »
Ouch ..... who threw that?

Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2011, 08:47:25 AM »
I love your avatar, SunnyDaze.

Well thanks.

If you're going to any upcoming meetings, let me know. I can bring a set of SR325is's if you're interested in hearing them.

Or, several other cans, up to and including Stax SR-5's.

I do need to try to make one and will take you up on that if it happens.   I've read reviews where they say the 60s are better than the 325s, but that certainly isn't the common take.   I've also heard that the whole line uses the same drivers but different cables etc..   Do you know if that is true?   

Either way, I think Grado is a fabulous company with amazing customer support.

When you have school aged kids a set of cans that you really like is a life saver.   Late night sessions with a record and the Grados keep me somewhat sane.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 08:50:04 AM by markshan »

SunnyDaze

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2011, 11:40:06 AM »
I've owned SR60's, SR225's, and SR325is's. I've listened to SR80's and SR125's.

I'll address your question first. I've never heard the older 325 model. My only experience with the 325 line comes from the 325is model, which seems to have different characteristics than the older version. The drivers in the Prestige line are indeed the same. I once tracked down the company in Mexico that produces them, but, my memory isn't what it was 5 minutes ago. As you go up the line in price, the drivers are supposedly more closely matched. Additionally, different models have different amounts of dampening material on the rear of the driver as well as the rear of the driver housing. I don't know what those differences are from model to model, nor do I care to find out with my cans as Guinea Pigs. The main cable on the 325is line is thick enough to whip a horse with, but the secondary cabling is as thin as that of the SR60 model.

When you say "better", are you talking head-fi esoterica or are you talking about leaning back in a recliner and dwelling on heavy rifts? Also, before I answer, I'm sure you've discovered that above all other variables, Grados are genre-specific: I feel they're best suited for those who've got a rock and roll heart. As I'm also sure you've discovered, most headphone manufacturers have a house sound. Grados aren't for those who seek massive a sound stage and dimensional presence. They're punchy, revealing, and raw. They make guitars do things that they have no business doing. That's a compromise I make when I put either of my Grado cans on.

The difference is that the 325's are just "more". It's difficult to explain without hearing. I may be describing what people describe as "brightness". Drums are punchier, guitars scream with more life, pianos jump out at you, winds have more life, again, it's nothing I can put in to words. It's just, more. With that said, the SR60's, being "less" are a better (albeit not good) choice for a wider range of genres. Something tells me that is what those folks are addressing as "better".

I didn't actually answer your question with anything tangible, for that I'm sorry. I'd really prefer you hear the difference.

I can even meet you at the shop on a weeknight after 9. There's enough big silver there to provide more than proper amplification for any and all Grado cans.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 06:57:56 PM by SunnyDaze »

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2011, 02:02:17 PM »
Welcome markshan...

I three am from Penn Hills...  I'm near the Churchill Side... ;)

George
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2011, 08:01:29 PM »

I didn't actually answer your question with anything tangible, for that I'm sorry. I'd really prefer you hear the difference.

I can even meet you at the shop on a weeknight after 9. There's enough big silver there to provide more than proper amplification for any and all Grado cans.

But you did.   You confirmed that it is the same driver.   As far as what the reviewer meant by "better", I'd have to ask the reviewer (whom I don't know).

You don't have to meet me at the shop, I will make a meeting eventually.   I would love to hear the 325s and your personal favorite cans if you are game for bringing two.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2011, 08:02:10 PM »
Welcome markshan...

I three am from Penn Hills...  I'm near the Churchill Side... ;)

George

George, I am in Blackridge.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2011, 10:01:56 PM »

But you did.   You confirmed that it is the same driver.   As far as what the reviewer meant by "better", I'd have to ask the reviewer (whom I don't know).

You don't have to meet me at the shop, I will make a meeting eventually.   I would love to hear the 325s and your personal favorite cans if you are game for bringing two.

Well, one of us will have to bribe Tom into letting us hook up my Stax (which were a graduation present from Tom) to the new Bob amps.  ;D ;D :P :P

Offline DJTommyK

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Analog
    • Hi-Fi State of Mind
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2011, 07:12:15 PM »
Welcome aboard George!  I'm in Monroeville - lots of folks from the "East End" here.   :D
--------------------------
Hi-Fi State of Mind:
http://mwfccw.blogspot.com/
--------------------------
Pioneer QX-8000
Rega P1
Denon DRW-840
Dokorder 1120
Polk Monitor 7B
Boston Accoustics A-700

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2011, 09:20:37 PM »
Willkommen im Club! 8)
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!