Author Topic: Yamaha HP-1 for a buck  (Read 3229 times)

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Yamaha HP-1 for a buck
« on: August 01, 2011, 10:04:17 PM »
I was at the SVdeP and saw several headphones on the shelf for a buck each. Several run of the mill Rat Shack and Labtec things, then I noticed what looked like a Walkman type phone but it had a 1/4" plug. Intrigued, I looked closer and saw "Yamaha HP-1" on the band. I knew nothing about them, but thought for a buck they would be good for the soundboard at church. I got them home and plugged them in and started Googling. "Hey, these sound really good" was my first thought. Then I started reading. Seems they have a bit of a following. So I have on a mix and they seem to sound really good on music that has some smiley to it, but maybe a bit too much mid on music that is mixed that way to begin with. I really liked them on the Badfinger but thought they didn't fare as well with the B-52s. Then the R Kelly "I Believe I Can Fly" song came on with just the strings and oboe and my jaw almost hit the ground. It sounded uncannily real, it could have been in the room with me.

I suspect that anything that sounds good on both these and my Grados can officially be labeled as "sounding good". I think this was a scroe.

SunnyDaze, you seem to be the headphone guy here.   Do you know anything about them?

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

Re: Yamaha HP-1 for a buck
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 10:04:53 PM »
Oh, since I got these today can I use them in my $200 system?

SunnyDaze

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 01:12:53 AM »
I do not.

bmwr75 and rgpit are also "headphone guys", but, I don't think either of them know of these Yammies either.

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 05:42:41 AM »
GREAT SCORE FOR A BUCK!!!!!!    8)    8)    8)
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

bmwr75

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 06:08:23 AM »
I know nothing about HP-1s.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 08:02:59 AM »
Well, SD talked about bringing a bunch of cans to a meeting, I'll bring these so you can check em out.   They are all the rage over at Head-Fi.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 09:47:56 AM »
I try to ignore Head-Fi as much as possible.

bmwr75

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 05:33:26 PM »
Immaturity and FOTM run rampant at Head-Fi.org.  That being said, there are some very knowledgeable people there, you just have to figure out who they are.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 08:36:25 PM »
Yeah, I don't think I'll be spending a lot of time there, but they came up prominently in my Google search for these cans.   You'll all get a chance to check 'em out.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 02:08:30 AM »
I agree 100% with bmwr75. It can be a great resource if you are patient enough to sift through all the BS.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 08:36:16 AM »
You mean like the internet? 8)

Offline confused

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 06:28:57 PM »
Hello all,

I am not much of a headphone guy, but I have 3 sets of electrostatic phones, koss, numark and pioneer.  These are the only ones I ever liked and have not listened to them in years.  I get confused enough listening to speakers and not too crazy for that in your head sound.  Having said that, i would like to find a set of speakers that have the same clarity, frequency response and coherence.
Dale

-Still Smoking!-