Author Topic: The end of FM as we know it  (Read 10550 times)

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: The end of FM as we know it
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 05:44:20 PM »
HD radio may not live up to it's potential from a signal quality standpoint, but there is some 1970s style limited commercial broadcasting and a deeper play list on many of the channels (that aren't rebroadcasting KDKA AM).  Analog FM mostly sucks as noted, but if one is patient, there is some decent programming during the off hours, or with a decent antenna, in the fringes.  We are lucky to have three "public" stations in a market the size of Pittsburgh, regardless of the nature of the programming.

If any one is tired of FM and wants to sell their tuners, please let me know.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 09:37:11 PM »
The three public broadcast stations are nice.  To lose one that had great jazz programming to become a talking head format of any content is a loss.  The commerical stations drive me nuts with the advertising.  I've got Sirrus in the car but the quality is not that great.  I think I read somewhere the bit rate is like 128.  Maybe somebody can confirm that.  A good tuner, Yagi antenna on the roof and a commercial free or limited commercial station with good music is great to have.  But is becomming a thing of the past.  Let's hope WQED and WYEP can stay away from becomming commercial radio or 24 hour talk of any kind.
Carl

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 11:18:26 PM »
My Jazz station is gone. I don't want to hear verbal spew from either side. Time to start  making cassettes for the van.
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2011, 12:15:18 AM »
Still listener supported, just no longer college affiliated.

Maybe jazz could move to 104.7.   That frequency isn't being used for anything worthwhile.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 12:17:24 AM by markshan »

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2011, 02:45:47 AM »
My Jazz station is gone. I don't want to hear verbal spew from either side.

My sentiments exactly.   

Anders

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2011, 12:02:23 PM »
I think i'll keep my tuners even if there's nothing to listen to just like i'm keeping my antique TVs that no longer receive anything.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2011, 06:22:53 PM »
I'll keep my tuners as well.  However, unlike the antique TVs that can still be fed a signal (even if RFd from some other source), once the FM band is gone, so will be the need for the tuners (why convert phono or CD signals to play through a tuner-at lease old TVs can serve as monitors)
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline mbskeam

• Double Secret Probation!
  • oh yeah baby
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2011, 09:00:42 PM »

[/quote]

now most Americans favor unequal marriage rights, etc.. 
[/quote]

? ? ?

like in a divorce? where the women gets 90% and the guy gets sent unto the dark frozen barren wastelands of  financial prison for years..... >:( >:( >:(
mbskeam

http://photobucket.com/albums/a96/mbskeam/

life is like flowers hanging from RaZer wire

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2011, 10:20:26 PM »
I know we are going way off topic here, but since you brought it up...

I don't believe in divorce.   Everyone who opposes gay marriage because "the Bible tells them to" (which it does, I just don't think that is the true motivation for most people) should also push for an abolition of divorce.   The scripture has much more to say about divorce than it does about homosexuality.

markshan - married for 21 years. (Sixteen of them happily!)

BTW, I also am convinced that about 90% of the time a divorce is the man's fault.

(Everyone here is going to hate me before they have even met me.)

now most Americans favor unequal marriage rights, etc.. 
[/quote]

? ? ?

like in a divorce? where the women gets 90% and the guy gets sent unto the dark frozen barren wastelands of  financial prison for years..... >:( >:( >:(
[/quote]

Offline DJTommyK

• Analog
    • Hi-Fi State of Mind
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2011, 07:07:39 PM »
Still listener supported, just no longer college affiliated.

Maybe jazz could move to 104.7.   That frequency isn't being used for anything worthwhile.

Amen to that!
--------------------------
Hi-Fi State of Mind:
http://mwfccw.blogspot.com/
Pioneer QX-8000
Rega P1
Denon DRW-840
Dokorder 1120
Polk Monitor 7B
Boston Accoustics A-700

SunnyDaze

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2011, 07:09:55 PM »
Regardless of our differing political views, 104.7 does have sports on the air. Sometimes I find it more enjoyable to listen to a baseball game than to watch it on TV.

Offline DJTommyK

• Analog
    • Hi-Fi State of Mind
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2011, 07:13:09 PM »
Well, hang on...I did stumble upon the Kim Komando show not too long ago, which is a great show.  I also catch the occasional Bucco game on there.  But otherwise, yeah, their programming is crap.

And let's be honest...you'll never get "CD quality" sound over the air - it just won't happen.  If you're a music lover, satellite is the way to go.  So much variety, decent sound quality, and (on the Sirius side anyway) little to no commercials.  Commercial radio, on the other hand, is a vast wasteland these days.
Hi-Fi State of Mind:
http://mwfccw.blogspot.com/
Pioneer QX-8000
Rega P1
Denon DRW-840
Dokorder 1120
Polk Monitor 7B
Boston Accoustics A-700

SunnyDaze

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2011, 07:43:33 PM »
You might be surprised at how FM can sound with a 5 gang tuner and an external antenna. 91.9 is only a few thousand watts, as is 103.1. Both sound phenomenal at my parents house near Uniontown.

That being said, I don't listen that often. :)

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2011, 01:19:19 AM »
You might be surprised at how FM can sound with a 5 gang tuner and an external antenna.

No static at all.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2011, 01:22:32 AM »

And let's be honest...you'll never get "CD quality" sound over the air - it just won't happen.  If you're a music lover, satellite is the way to go.  So much variety, decent sound quality, and (on the Sirius side anyway) little to no commercials.  Commercial radio, on the other hand, is a vast wasteland these days.

I think that an average FM broadcast sounds significantly better than my experience with XM radio.   I found it absolutely unlistenable, fingernails on a chalkboard bad.   I wish it weren't so, as a commercial free Americana station is of strong appeal to me.