Author Topic: Luxman PX-101  (Read 13515 times)

OldiesButGoodies

Luxman PX-101
« on: August 10, 2011, 09:00:50 PM »
Great table this Luxman.  Replaced the belt that moves the arm, cleaned it - that cured almost everything. Replaced the Stanton cart with a Grado (the Stanton dust brush interfered with the head-shell and,  I think, created a rumble microphone in the process) and it works great.   In a bit of a rush to reassemble it I forgot to adjust the auto-return,  so that will be done some other night.   Or Tom will do it,  I think he likes this table.  Cracking the case open is not too hard. 

MVI_0786.MOV

MVI_0785.MOV

OBG

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
Re: Luxman PX-101
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 10:07:00 PM »
Looking and sounding good!

It played pretty well!  Even with that ugly warp. 
Carl

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 10:46:59 PM »
I love Tito Puente.

Remember that with the Stanton brush carts you have to add 1 gram of tracking force to offset the upward force of the bristles.   That said, I like Grados better anyway as long as that table (you said it was belt drive, right?) isn't subject to the famous "Grado hum".

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 10:47:28 PM »
Actually what looks like a warp is the ceiling fan light wobbling with the fan.  The LP was pretty flat.  Will test it with a warpy later.  But all things considered these tangential arms were pretty decent trackers.  The base could use some dynamat inside to eliminate resonances though. Thanks!

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 10:50:17 PM »
This table is not a belt drive - it is direct drive.  The belt I mentioned helps move the tangential arm back and forth.  I do not hear the Grado hum on this one, though I  have with other DD tables.  This one is quiet.  Thanks!

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 10:58:51 PM »

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 11:32:19 PM »
I was impressed with that table.
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline Reverend

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 08:41:32 AM »
Great sounding table.

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 12:44:32 PM »
Actually what looks like a warp is the ceiling fan light wobbling with the fan.  The LP was pretty flat.  Will test it with a warpy later.  But all things considered these tangential arms were pretty decent trackers.  The base could use some dynamat inside to eliminate resonances though. Thanks!
...Grab my turntable weight from Tom and see if that helps!  O0
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 02:15:42 PM »
That makes sense - a weight would tame the rumble and make it harder for the feedback loop to form.   Will do that when I hit Tom's next.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 08:11:19 PM »
Not that I'm calling you a liar or anything Pepe, but that sure does look like a warp to me too. I think the Luxman's dancing toearm agrees with me on this one :D 8)  Awesome table though. Maybe when Tommy is done with it I'll get a crack at it ;D
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 08:28:32 PM »
Ok - let's settle this - I am going to put the amazing Tito Puente album back on the table and check,  hold on....

??? The album is very slightly warped too.  So I may have lied a bit there.  In my defense, the fan light also wobbles.  And last night I was assessing the situation through beer-infected eyes.  Another reason to get the King's clamp - it may help Tito track.

I am opening the Luxman up again this weekend to adjust the return and explore the limits of my old-turntable fixing skills.  Will report later on that.

:-*

OldiesButGoodies

Re: Luxman PX-101 - Auto Return Fix
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 05:32:53 PM »
http://youtu.be/Ijhf0Sx3fYE

A small piece of black tape did the trick.

OBG

Offline NicoNibbering

• FNG !!!
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 05:58:45 PM »
Hi can you please tell me where you got that belt from? I have the same issue, but I can't seem to get it in Europe.
Regards,

Nico

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 07:57:38 PM »
Nico

I think i took the original back to Tom and he had a replacement of the right size. Tom is the owner of the physical store behind this web site.  I  am not sure he even charged me for it.  This is why you ought to move to Pittsburgh and enjoy the benefits of having Anders and Tom nearby.

Seriously,  if you measure the belt I will ask Tom for help,  maybe he has another one in his shop.  If he does I will get it to you.  Where in Europe are you?

OBG