Author Topic: DAC recommendations  (Read 7554 times)

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
DAC recommendations
« on: November 06, 2011, 09:27:09 PM »
I have been thinking of intoducing some digital to my 2 channel analog rig.  Anyone have a recommendation for a good value DAC in the $500-$1000 price range (less is always better, but I don't want to sacrifice performance just for price). 

I would like to use it to update the D/A from my CD player (coax digital out only) as well as some thing like the Logitech Squeezebox.  Ultimately, I want to be able to listen to the Hi Rez stuff about which I have been reading.  I prefer something I can buy locally, versus over the internet, although for good used gear anything goes.  Thanks.

Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline non-prophet

• Audio Connoisseur
  • Peace among worlds
Re: DAC recommendations
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 09:59:58 PM »
i recently picked up a Theta Pro Gen V and extremely pleased with it.  I think it could serve you well, since i am going to use mine for the same purposes you mentioned.  Also, Tom just so happens to have one sitting at the shop.  Just saying.  Nick
Duntech PCL-400 (Black Knight), KEF 105/3, Snell Type b
Aloia PST 11.1, Terra Song ss-1, Luxman c-1000, Melos MA333
Llano Phoenix CA-300, White Audio Labs A100, (2) Luxman M4000
McIntosh MA230

Offline TNRabbit

• Audio Geek!
  • WTF are you looking at?
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 07:10:30 AM »
I highly recommend the Benchmark DAC-1 w/USB input.  Retail is higher than your target but you can find them cheaper than that.
TNRabbit

Carver SD/A-360 CDP feeding  Benchmark DAC-1
Sunfire Theater Grand-IV Processor/Sunfire Cinema Seven Signature Amp
Ashly XR-1001 & Rane PEQ-15s biamping AL-IIIs

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline tinpan

• Audio Geek!
    • VA Gold
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 09:40:51 AM »
I really like the Eastern Electric Tube DAC. There are two on Agon right now for $600 and change. They go quickly though.

I also like the Grant Fidelity Tube Dac for a couple hundred bucks.

Gary's BenchMark DAC is very nice and you can also look for Cambridge Audio Majis DACs for $ 300 and change on Agon

Tinpan

If you can read this message, thank a teacher.
If you are reading it in english, thank a veteran

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 05:44:55 PM »
Thanks, all.  I heard about the Benchmark; I understand it's direct (internet/mail) only and want to listen before I buy.  A friend suggested the PS Audio Perfect Wave.  I may start with the Theta, when Tom's back and feeling better.

I guess another challenge is what and how to find/download the hi-rez music.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 08:39:50 PM »
'nuther vote for the Benchmark
Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600

Offline TNRabbit

• Audio Geek!
  • WTF are you looking at?
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 02:21:05 PM »
There's a brick & mortar place in Baltimore that sells the Benchmark, or DID 3 years ago....
TNRabbit

Carver SD/A-360 CDP feeding  Benchmark DAC-1
Sunfire Theater Grand-IV Processor/Sunfire Cinema Seven Signature Amp
Ashly XR-1001 & Rane PEQ-15s biamping AL-IIIs

Offline YSRACER

• FNG !!!
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 08:46:35 AM »
...and another vote for the Benchmark.  I had a PS Audio, and a modified tube DAC from GR Research.  The Benchmark stayed, and I have no desire to change.
Squeezebox w/Welborne Labs PS / Benchmark DAC1 / Emotive Audio Erato / Aspen Lifeforce / Speaker of the Month

Offline OconeeOrange

• Double Secret Probation!
  • South Carolina RedNeck
    • YardCrap
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 04:36:02 PM »
I mostly do digital music, but do have a nice record collection.
I have four Dacs.  They are good for different applications.
Here on the porch I have a BenchMark Dac-1 Pre.  It is just excellent, but is not cheap.  I have it matched to good components.
I have an old FUBAR I put new opamps in still running my bed room computer TV movies.
I have a tiny one tube Dac for my netbook -> cute as hell, and also one that just looks like a thumb drive.  I can't hear a difference, but I play the net book mostly on my boat with lesser quality gear. 

I wanted one for my main system to upgrade my vintage CD players.  Since they are worth little (but I like 'em), searched long and hard.  An older quality CD player with a modern DAC is better than many high end players from just a couple years back.
I bought this one:  http://shop.grantfidelity.com/Grant-Fidelity-TubeDAC-11-D-A-Converter.html

This is very good for the price $325, and is the latest thing out there.  If I need another or need to replace any of the above, would get another of these.
For sound improvement, it is hard to beat.  I have not done a head on comparison with my other Dacs as they all work well in the systems they occupy.  A DAC is just one piece of the puzzle and should be matched to what you have. 

Still, I highly suggest you or anyone give this a try before paying a bundle.  Dacs are in demand, and the tech of it all is improving rapidly. A used $3000 DAC (or high end CD player) from a few years back goes now on ebay for a few hundred and that is a joke unless you need the name bragging rights.  I think DAC improvement has been the giant step over the last years.  I also think adding a better DAC to your system is the best bang for the buck.

If you can, get the BenchMark of course, but I doubt there is a thousand dollar different in my BenchMark and this tube job.   You can upgrade it just by rolling tubes.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 07:26:34 PM »
I checked the Grant Fidelity site and also an Audio Karma thread and the Tube Dac-11 sounds almost too good to be true for the $325 shipped price, which is not a bad thing by the way.  I know it only matters to my (very fussy) ears, but here is the loaded question.  Do you think I will be happy with it, as both a D/A upgrade to my MAC CD players internal D/A (instead using it as a transport) and as a D/A for hi rez digital. 

My main system has always been a pretty hi resolution pure analog rig and I wonder how the DAC will sound compared to both vinyl and the CD player (it is about 20 years old).  Digital and tubes for that matter are all new to me.

At a minimum, the Tube Dac 11 may be a cheap way to get into the game and at relatively low risk, assuming I can always sell it and cut my losses it if I'm not happy

Offline OconeeOrange

• Double Secret Probation!
  • South Carolina RedNeck
    • YardCrap
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 08:12:41 PM »
Only your ears can decide that.
Some claim that tubes sound more analog, but that can be good or bad as to who is listening.

If you have a tube amp or tube pre, a tube DAC might not be needed. 
I run mine into a Carver tube pre and it sounds good to me.

At any rate, this is a good DAC.  I needed a toslink for my CD player, but unlike some, it can handle most inputs.

Offline tinpan

• Audio Geek!
    • VA Gold
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 09:05:21 PM »
Are you playing any digital files? That is where I really like my dac. I ripped all of my CDs to my Mac and I can play my music to any of the 5 systems in my house, via wireless.  That was a huge improvement over my cd player, the old one

If you want to upgrade your cd's and have the option to play sacd or DVD audio get an oppo 981 off agon for $150 bucks. You can also get a grant fidelity dac 09 there for $200 bucks. That would give you two good dacs to sart out with without spending a lot of money. I have a gf dac09 and it's very nice I also have 2 audio note dacs and I have 2 more being built. Are they worth the $1,700 price tag, to me, yes. But if that wasn't in the budget the gf is a great dac to start with. If you decide you like it you'll probably like a benchmark, but you won't have to spend 1,000 bucks finding that out. I would say you could then sell you gf dac but that,ll never happen either

I hate typing on this ipad
Tinpan

If you can read this message, thank a teacher.
If you are reading it in english, thank a veteran

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 06:23:04 AM »
My CD player has a coax digital out, which the Dac-11 can handle.  Even if the DAC does not improve over the CD players decoder, it seems like a cheap way to get into digital files, which I am still exploring.  If it sounds great, I am done.  If not, I'll need to trade up, to maybe the benchmark.  Thanks for all of the advice

I hate typing, period.  Dyslexic fingers.

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
  • Receiving Aural Pleasure....
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 06:01:18 PM »
I'm not sure how taboo ancient resurrections are here at VHFP, but....

Anybody else ever check the Grant Fidelity DAC?  Looking around now for a good 'entry' DAC.....
preamp: BAT VK-5
amp: Altec 944sa
DAC:  Bel Canto 2.5
CDP: Pioneer Elite DV-47a
Intel NUC server / iFi micro iUSB3.0 / Roon
Spendor FL9