Author Topic: Analog vs Digital  (Read 6130 times)

Offline OconeeOrange

• Double Secret Probation!
  • South Carolina RedNeck
    • YardCrap
Analog vs Digital
« on: November 21, 2011, 09:06:12 PM »
Damn I am tired of being on probation.
Am I in or out?
TOM - ???

================================

I have a decent LP collection and a decent turntable.
I have a couple thousand CDs I like, not just junk.  Well, they might be junk to you, but not to me.
At one point I assembled equipment to put my LPs in the computer as some of them are not yet on CD.  (I am a geezer).  Then it hit me the beter route was to enjoy my LPs as LPs and my digital as digital.  I was going to try to give away the all the equipment I bought to convert as door prizes at CarverFest, but the party was cancelled.

I play with all forms of tunes (still have some 8 track), but to be honest, play my computer based music most of the time.  Digital rocks my world.

I have all my CDs (and some borrowed) ripped to flac.  I rip them with less compression because they rip faster that way, not because they will sound better.  Storage is cheap these days.  All my home computers have access to my music, but I made a tiny computer just for the best music playback possible on my deck where 75% of my tune playing goes on.  I continue to learn and improve on it.   A dedicated music computer is essential. I have a good amp and a good preamp out here to make the tunes entertain.  Retail, my digital deck system is high end.  I am open to improvement, but am at dead end. I might have the best sounding deck system in America.

I can play an LP in the bar, run up here and play the same tune from the computer.  Do they sound different?  Yes.  The difference is the difference in the speakers/equipment playing the tune there and the equipment on the deck.  Both sound great, but environment counts.

If I play a CD on the deck and then the Flac - I can't hear a difference.
If I play an LP in the bar and then the CD, I can.
All sound good, and I guess which sounds best is up to the listener.

I upgraded my old CD players with the http://shop.grantfidelity.com/Grant-Fidelity-TubeDAC-11-D-A-Converter.html  mainly because it had tubes to swap out and did toslink and coaxial. That was money well spent.  I believe that the biggest improvement in digital tunes is the advancement of the DAC. Do not not buy the old ones on ebay.  One that costs a few thousand years back takes a dive to a much cheaper one today. That is especially true for older high end CD players.  Look at the specs and Google until you have a grip on it all.  I love vintage as that is where the music is, but don't buy old DACs.  On the other hand, a new DAC hooked to a vintage CD player can be an incredible upgrade.

My conclusion is:

- that I enjoy music both digital and analog.
 - On the same system, I can not tell the difference in ripped Flac and the original CD.  Maybe you can.  Maybe in a blind test you might pick one from the other over 50% of the time. If I did, it would be luck, and in the real world, not a factor in my tune enjoyment.

If we put CDs or Flac against LPs, then yes I can tell one from the other.  LPs have more things to go wrong for ears pick up on.  It does not spoil the music, and I prefer LPs over CDs mainly because most of mine are old and not fu*ked up by the engineers as much as later CDs.
LPs were replaced by tapes and the tapes are gone -> LP lives on.  LP was replaced by CDs but LP lives on.  The reason is LPs have a different sound.  You might like it, you might not.  I grew up with it, and I like it.
I did not grow up with how many deal with LPs today.  Lets face it, we were just 'Rocking out' back then and had no clue as to fidelity.  It was sorta like a kid with an ipod today.  Put an LP on a decent system and WOW !!  Put an ipod on a decent system and the 192 bit crap will clog it up.  I am not knocking ipod.  I am just saying that on a decent audio system --> it sounds like crap.

LPs were fun in the trailer back in the 60's when the Gardener-Webb cheerleaders were on top doing their thing on top - until the cops came.  Trying to get that level of excitement is not possible today.

Today CDs rule.  I agree as most don't have equipment to play LPs. For LPs to compete with CDs, most think we need incredible LP equipment.  That is not true.  If you spend on analog as you do on digital, no big deal.  Due to compression on CDs as to less on old LPs, the difference is -> a noticeable difference.
I prefer LP with all the flaws. Still, I play more CDs due to the great sound and to be honest, I am lazy and digital rocks. No matter how much I like LPs, they are a pain compared to digital.

Put in a CD or crank up a Flac file and the tunes are great!!!

To get comparable sound from LPs takes more steps.  Back in the day we had record players and they were great.

A million dollar turntable is good, but many good vintage ones can be found on ebay for a couple hundred bucks.  Put in a decent cart like http://www.amazon.com/Shure-M97xE-High-Performance-Magnetic-Cartridge/dp/B00006I5SB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321920213&sr=8-1 , and only an audiophile with a great system and great ears could improve on the sound.  I have a an old Pioneer set up like this. I have a higher end Rega and just the cartridge cost much more than the Pioneer system.  Funny, just the external power supply or the added isolation things cost more. The difference in sound is a difference, but not to most.  It is more on the hobby level.  Hell, my mat cost a hundred - was it worth it - yes, but not in sound.  It is a hobby thing and yes I am an audio idiot.

To get good sound from LPs, buy a record cleaner.  Then put what $$ you have left on the turntable.  The record cleaner will make more difference than the turntable.  Digital is flawless and records, especially used records are prone to flaws.  If you want to play records and you are picky about sound, you will need a record cleaner.  The price on them varies as to how much work you are willing to do.  At the end of the day, they clean records.  The vacuum thing is a must, really, you need this option.  There is an entire world you can Google and find just on cleaning fluids.  LP guys must be at the top of the list of audio idiots. The extremes people go to is amazing to me.  I use a two step method.  I have a mixture of Jet Dry and Nitty Gritty cleaning fluid, then a rinse with distilled water. My records are mostly in excellent shape.  The odd/scratched ones I acquire, I play on the Pioneer system.  I understand I just crossed into the "audio geek" level, but believe me, you will need a record cleaner to enjoy LPs on a decent system.  Do that and LPs will blow your CDs off the play list.

Digital is very good - just excellent.
This post is just for the few who might want to experience new/old things.
Downstairs I have good junk.  Visit, we will play a CD using a modern DAC and then the same LP (minus the DAC of course) over the same system.
It will be fun.

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
Re: Analog vs Digital
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 01:20:39 AM »
Had that built up inside didn't you Bill?  :laugh: I enjoyed that post immensely!!!  ;D
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline TNRabbit

• Audio Geek!
  • WTF are you looking at?
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 07:27:22 AM »
I laid an anal log yesterday.....
TNRabbit

Carver SD/A-360 CDP feeding  Benchmark DAC-1
Sunfire Theater Grand-IV Processor/Sunfire Cinema Seven Signature Amp
Ashly XR-1001 & Rane PEQ-15s biamping AL-IIIs

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 07:50:43 AM »
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline paden501

• Audio Geek!
  • Nobody Home
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 01:01:41 PM »
Bill, I understand what you're saying here.  I sometimes flip back and forth between the DAC in my Jolida and the DAC in my B&K pre just so I can 'hear the difference' between them (and I can!)

Honestly though It's a toss up over which has more mindless tech-babble in it.... this thread, or Dan Balsma's pre-game pep talk last night!  (did anybody understand a word of that last night??  No wonder they never bother to televise those speeches....)
~Matt
--- My System ---
Front L/R: Polk Audio SDA-1C w/ Modified xovers
Amp: Carver TFM-24
CD: Jolida JD100a
HTR/Pre: B&K Reference 20
Turntable:Pioneer PL-516 W/ Shure M97xe
Surrounds -Polk Audio Monitor 4As

Offline thuffman03

• Zen Master
  • CarverFest Evictee
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 01:26:16 PM »
OO, you are on Double Secret Probation!  Get to 200 posts and you will be promoted!
Got Carver?

SunnyDaze

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 03:40:56 PM »
"I still jerk off manually" ~ Jeff Lebowski  ;D

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 07:53:00 PM »
You would put your money into the record cleaner before the TT - that says a lot.  I am saving up for a record cleaner.

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 09:06:06 PM »
Congrats on a great writeup!  Most of what you say is true for me.  I enjoy both digital and lps.  I don't have a high end turntable or cartridge.  However, my preamps, amplifier, etc. are where the real magic is and it works for both the digital and analog sources.

A good lp cleaner is essentail.  Buy the VPI 16.5 and don't look back.  Well recorded CDs and LPs both sound better than the poorly mastered ones.  A well mastered LP on quiet vinyl wins my vote compared to digital.  YMMV.

Rock on wit yo' bad self!  O0
Carl

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 05:55:52 PM »
I prefer LPs over CDs mainly because most of mine are old and not fu*ked up by the engineers as much as later CDs.

QFT

Offline OconeeOrange

• South Carolina RedNeck
    • YardCrap
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 01:17:17 AM »
Congrats on a great writeup!  Most of what you say is true for me.  I enjoy both digital and lps.  I don't have a high end turntable or cartridge.  However, my preamps, amplifier, etc. are where the real magic is and it works for both the digital and analog sources.

A good lp cleaner is essentail.  Buy the VPI 16.5 and don't look back.  Well recorded CDs and LPs both sound better than the poorly mastered ones.  A well mastered LP on quiet vinyl wins my vote compared to digital.  YMMV.

Rock on wit yo' bad self!  O0

I like everything you posted and agree.  That might be because you seem to agree with me.  :laugh:

If we disagree in any way, it might be on the amp/preamp thing.

I agree that if we sit quietly and pay attention, it makes a difference.  If like me, you drink and dance before the speakers nakid - not so much.

To me a good pre does not color the music.  A good amp has the power to clean up the head room.
That is all we need from those guys.

Just when I had that figured out, went back to tubes.  I don't yet own any tube amps.  I bought a couple, but James Salter on Carver Forum has an axe to grind and will not send the transformers I paid cash for to my builder in Washington.

I do have tube pre amps and others.  Supposedly, tubes produce a more analog type sound. In the day, CD (digital) was the considered better.  I have good examples of both and believe it is more about the heart and the eye than the ear.  Right now I believe most of my future purchases will be in the tube area.  I say that because I already have all the bigger Sunfire amps.  Most tube amps in the world most of us buy from cannot not make speakers rock like a Sunfire 600X2 or bi-amped with a 400X etc Sunfire.  I suspect there are better amps, but not in the price range of under 2k used.

Back when I was a child, the wisdom put out by John D. McDonald was to buy the best speakers you can and build back from there.  I think things have changed, but I also think the music is 90% still in the speakers if you have an amp/pre suitable to bring out the music. Speakers are like a instrument in the band.  They are just one piece in the puzzle, but to me - the main piece.

Put your coin in good speakers before you play with amps, wires and etc.  There will be time to play with all that later on. 

Offline BrianT

• F'n Brit Asshole!!!
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 07:14:03 PM »

Just when I had that figured out, went back to tubes.  I don't yet own any tube amps.  I bought a couple, but James Salter on Carver Forum has an axe to grind and will not send the transformers I paid cash for to my builder in Washington.

I do have tube pre amps and others.  Supposedly, tubes produce a more analog type sound. In the day, CD (digital) was the considered better.  I have good examples of both and believe it is more about the heart and the eye than the ear.  Right now I believe most of my future purchases will be in the tube area.  I say that because I already have all the bigger Sunfire amps.  Most tube amps in the world most of us buy from cannot not make speakers rock like a Sunfire 600X2 or bi-amped with a 400X etc Sunfire.  I suspect there are better amps, but not in the price range of under 2k used.

Hi Bill.

Hope you are doing well.

As for the Transformers, James can not ship them out to you as he does not have any. It was Bob who ordered the Transformers and it looks like he did not order enough
why don't you give Bob a call and see what he can do for you. If you do not have Bobs #, PM me and I will pass it on.
If the worse comes to the worse, I can can loan you my Carverfest amp, as I am not using it. 3 different tube amps in the house.
Or if you really want to try tubes, I have a spare set of Bob's Cherry 260's I could loan you, but shipping cost would be a bitch.

As you are aware I have a fairly good turntable, you got to see it at Carverfest, since Carverfest I have upgraded the cartridge, I purchased a Transformation Phoenix ($3000.00)
So on my system, there is a very big difference from CD to Vinyl, (I do not have computer music, Flac Hi Res Audio Etc) the Cd's are very pleasant, but lack space the sound stage is smaller
and there is no sparkle. The Vinyl opens up the sound stage, instruments have very precise location, vocals just float in front of you and the system has sparkle, also some clicks and pops that you do not get with CD. I do have a VPI record cleaner and it does stop a lot of the clicks and pops but as my vinyl is old, it can not stop them all.

As for tubes or solid state, you know I go for tubes, but you are so lucky owning a 600x2 that and a Classe CA-2200 are the only solid state amps I would think about getting.

Brian.
Ottawa. Canada.
Vinnie Rossi L2SI integrated amp
Takatsuki 300B tubes
2 x Carver 275 Mono Block
Audience Front Row Bi wire Speaker Cables
Audience Front Row USB Cable
Audience Front Row RCA Cables
VPI Classic TurnTable (blk)
c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Auralic G2 server
B&W 803D3 (black)

Offline Zoot Horn

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 08:14:03 PM »
Vinyl is just more ,,,organis,,for lack of a better word. Happy Thanksgiving all.Rock on Brian,,you da' man. 8)

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2011, 02:18:46 PM »
Eh, you vinyl guys need better SACD/CD players.
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2011, 03:12:12 PM »
and more space,  moving 2 shelving  unis full of scratchy LPs right now...