Author Topic: Receiver for Lsi9?  (Read 7755 times)

Offline leb

• FNG !!!
Receiver for Lsi9?
« on: December 15, 2011, 08:55:52 PM »
Hi everyone,

Just looking for some advice on a future audio purchase.  I've been looking at the Polk Lsi9s for a while now, and I think I'm gonna go for it.  I will need a new receiver for them, since they require 4 ohms.  While I am buying the speakers primarily for listening to music, I'd like to have them hooked up to my TV as well.  Ideally, I'd like to connect my TV with an optical digital cable so that any source going into my TV can be fed to the receiver through this one  audio connection.  The thing is, I haven't been able to find any stereo receivers that are 4 ohms and have an optical input.  Any ideas on what to buy or a good workaround?  Also, a phono input on the receiver would be great as I'd like to avoid using a preamp, but I guess I could continue using my preamp if I had to.

I suppose I'll also be needing an amplifier for the Lsi9s.  Any suggestions there?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
Re: Receiver for Lsi9?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 09:36:23 PM »
If money's tight go NAD. They will handle the 4 ohms no problem. Longevity? ...

If you can spend some bucks (and I assume you can considering the speakers), get a separate pre/processor and amp. 99.9% of amps on the market will handle a 4 ohm load.
I'm sure Tommy has something for you at his shop regardless...
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline leb

• FNG !!!
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 09:41:16 PM »
Ah, great.  I guess there was some confusion on my part thinking that if I had a separate receiver and amplifier then both would still need to be 4 ohms.  Not the case?  (I tried to find some answers on the web but got frustrated and figured you guys would know what to tell me right away.)  ;)

I planned on going to see Tom for the amp, but any suggestions?

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 09:51:48 PM »
If you have pre-outs on your receiver, them most amps will work fine. What are your requirements (outside of 4 ohms) and what is your budget?
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline leb

• FNG !!!
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 09:58:43 PM »
I think I'm going to go with the Onkyo TX-8050, which has pre-out as well as some other feature I like.  Polk's website says the recommended power for the Lsi9s is 20-200 watts per channel.

Mostly using this for listening to music (vinyl, CD, and music through computer or iPod) but will also have it hooked up to my TV and whatever components I'm putting through that.

Offline leb

• FNG !!!
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 10:06:45 PM »
Oh, right, budget.  I guess I'd be willing to spend up to $250-350 on the amp if that makes any sense.  Of course, if they cost less without a serious sacrifice in quality, that would be great!  Amps are something I've never really explored in previous audio setups so I'm not sure exactly what I want/need from them or what I should be willing to spend.  I've pretty much just looked through Tom's stock on the website so far.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 10:07:44 PM »
Honesty, most receivers will do 4 ohms no problem. Heat and distortion will be constant enemies though. If you are going to spend a good deal of money on a pair of speakers, it is really worth your time to look into getting at least a separate amplifier to power them. Your ears will thank you immediately. Your wallet will thank you down the road.

Offline leb

• FNG !!!
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 10:13:26 PM »
Yeah, I figure with the money I will be spending on the speakers it would be worth spending a bit more to get a separate amp and having them sound even better.  From what I've been reading the Lsi9s are pretty power hungry (at least for bookshelves).  Any recommendations from Tom's current website stock?

Thanks for all the advice so far!

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 06:34:05 AM »
He has a newly refurbished Carver 500t that is one sweet amp! I have one and it is super . It will make those Polks sing!  ;)
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 10:26:39 AM »
If you're local i'd suggest stopping at the shop.  There are other things available that aren't on the website.  Or call Tom and ask his opinion.

Offline leb

• FNG !!!
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 03:12:09 PM »
Yeah, stopping by the shop when I am home for the holidays was my plan the whole time. Thanks again guys.

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 11:38:01 PM »
There isn't an AVR made that will do justice to the LSi 9's. Since you state you're more interested in 2 channel music than HT, I suggest you get a dedicated pre/pro instead of a an AVR as the pre amp sections in AVR's are not known for their musical sound quality.
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

SunnyDaze

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 12:22:52 PM »
I agree with F1, 100%. Those speakers are serious business.

Perhaps purchase the Polks, then take them to the shop. Tom will most likely allow you to audition your lovely new speakers on a variety of amp / preamp combinations. There's absolutely nothing better than try before you buy. You go home knowing you made the right choice based on your ears, not on 2,538 Amazon.com reviews.  ;D

bmwr75

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 01:11:54 PM »
There isn't an AVR made that will do justice to the LSi 9's. Since you state you're more interested in 2 channel music than HT, I suggest you get a dedicated pre/pro instead of a an AVR as the pre amp sections in AVR's are not known for their musical sound quality.

Well, I respectfully disagree with F1nut.  There are some higher end and older AVRs that sounded very good in 2 channel listening mode.  Denon AVR-3600 and AVR-5800 to name two that I've owned.  In the Pure Direct mode all the video circuitry is turned off and even the display lighting is turned off.  I saw an Denon 5800 in mint condition for sale on AudioKarma.org for $350 the other day.  A killer deal.

Offline leb

• FNG !!!
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 07:20:01 PM »
Well, I have an Onkyo TX-8050 that I'm planning on using with the speakers.  So it's looking like the separate dedicated amp route at this point.