Author Topic: Receiver for Lsi9?  (Read 7756 times)

SunnyDaze

Re: Receiver for Lsi9?
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 12:59:17 AM »
That receiver may actually do a great job with the Polks. It's designed to drive a 4 ohm load. Make sure you go to page 12 of the manual and set it up for a 4 ohm load accordingly.

I honestly think that you'll be satisfied with the speakers and your Onkyo in 2-channel stereo.

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2011, 02:34:43 AM »
Respectfully, I'll stand by my previous comment.  8)
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2011, 05:55:10 PM »
If you don't care about vinyl, or need a lot of inputs, I suggest giving thought to plugging a CD player or DAC straight into a power amp (as long as they have a volume control).  Having no preamp in the signal chain is cleaner than having even a very good one.  Some DACs have an analog input, permitting a phono pre amp for use with a turntable.

Of course this may start a debate about inserting digital into the analog audio signal path.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline leb

• FNG !!!
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2011, 02:05:33 PM »
I will be listening to vinyl and will also need a lot of inputs, including the Onkyo's optical digital for hooking up to my TV.  Once I received the Onkyo and played around with the settings I noticed the 4 ohm option.  I'll still be looking into the amp, however, as I feel the speakers will probably sound a lot better with one and the extra investment would be worth it.  Thanks for the input.

bmwr75

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2011, 05:25:40 PM »
Respectfully, I'll stand by my previous comment.  8)

I doubt anyone is surprised by that.....especially me.

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2011, 06:00:08 PM »
I will be listening to vinyl and will also need a lot of inputs, including the Onkyo's optical digital for hooking up to my TV.  Once I received the Onkyo and played around with the settings I noticed the 4 ohm option.  I'll still be looking into the amp, however, as I feel the speakers will probably sound a lot better with one and the extra investment would be worth it.  Thanks for the input.

Yeah, that 4 ohm setting.....all it does is limit the current so that you don't cook the amp. You are actually better off leaving it at the 8 ohm setting and playing them at a moderate level.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 06:24:15 PM by F1nut »

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2011, 06:03:07 PM »

As I'm sure no one is surprised by your weak retort.

bmwr75

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2011, 08:21:07 PM »

As I'm sure no one is surprised by your weak retort.

How about this for a snappy retort?

I looked you up on the Polk forum.  I see you are as big a dick there as you are here.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2011, 08:52:58 PM »
here we go...

Anyway... Get an amp if you can afford it... seriously. If not, for the speakers' sake, relax on the volume until you can.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2011, 08:54:19 PM »
And, as stated by "dick" F1, keep it in the 8ohm setting.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2011, 09:19:10 PM »
C'mon boys, take it easy.

you both started your opinion; nuff said unless you have something technical to respond with.
Personal attacks are uncalled for.
HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable

bmwr75

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2011, 09:29:03 PM »
My point to F1nut is that there is no need to treat new audio enthusiasts poorly. 

We all at one time didn't know watts from ohms.......albeit maybe a long time ago. 

Our responses to those wanting to learn more and being brave enough to ask should be understanding, friendly and supportive. 

As I was told by someone once, "You are nearly always right, but it is getting to the point that no one cares.".

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2011, 09:52:07 PM »
Well if leb learned anything it is that everyone has their own opinion.
Advice will only take you so far and your ears must do the rest.
HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2011, 12:34:04 PM »
My point to F1nut is that there is no need to treat new audio enthusiasts poorly. 

Yeah let's see, I gave the OP good solid advice. For that I get accused of treating a new guy poorly and of being a big dick!?!

Do you enjoy looking like a fool?

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2011, 12:42:12 PM »
On a different note Happy New Year Jesse!!!  ;D
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!