Author Topic: NKOTB  (Read 3949 times)

Offline Dr. Whett N. Wylde

• FNG !!!
  • I = C dv/dt
NKOTB
« on: January 23, 2012, 12:47:20 PM »
Greetings, y'all.

I'm Dr. Whetton Wylde  (as in Wet and Wild, capische!)  Anyway, I'm an old fogie who still loves music and has an affinity for equipment with a good price/value relationship.  I have a couple of Hafler amps (DH-220 and DH-500) and a Hafler DH-110 preamp, all of which I built myself.  Having a EE degree actually proved to have some value it would seem.

Valve equipment includes Scott integrated amps, Fisher integrated amp, Scott tuners, a Mac tuner, and a few more heat generators.

I'm getting ready to build a solid state frankenstein preamp, and I'm looking for a chassis to house this baby.  See my ad in the "Wanted to Buy" or other appropriate location here.  Who knows --- maybe we can help each other .

Best Regards,

DWNW

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
Re: NKOTB
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 05:06:57 PM »
Welcome to the forum.
   The Hafler 500 is a great amp!!

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 05:55:46 PM »
WELCOME DOC!!!!    8)    ;D    O0    8)
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

bmwr75

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 05:58:55 PM »
Welcome to the nut house!!

Offline Dr. Whett N. Wylde

• FNG !!!
  • I = C dv/dt
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 06:12:50 PM »
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

It seems that in my haste to introduce myself, I neglected to mention my speakers. 

For the "cheap seats" I run a set of Fried Beta IIs and the matching subwoofer. 

When I really want to kick back, I head down to the inner sanctum (where the DH-500 is) and listen to my other set of Frieds --- C3/L satellites and matching subwoofers ----- built the cabinets myself --- solid teak fronts and teak veneer sides.   

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 06:29:09 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

Funny you mention Fried, I just picked up a pair of A/2's in the original boxes.  The woofer surrounds are in the process of being fixed.  Nice sounding speakers.  There is a thread on here with pictures if you're interested.

Offline Zoot Horn

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 06:33:01 PM »
Welcome to the machine.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 07:52:26 PM »
Welcome Dr. Wylde!   I have an EE degree  but I still depend on Tom to fix everything I buy broken!  Seems like my Dad wasted the money on that degree.  Welcome to the club.  I hope the web site becomes part of your hourly-check web rotation.  I go from Facebook to Drudge to CNN to Vintage HiFi to AudioKarma and then start over, with some stumbleupon thrown in for good measure.

:)

OBG

SunnyDaze

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 11:38:06 PM »
Greeeeeat, another f'n engineer.

;D

Welcome to the madhouse!

Anders

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 11:52:00 PM »
Welcome,
I wonder if i would make more money if I had an EE degree.
Having an EE degree doesn't give you the years of experience fixing things that I have.

I hope you don't think I'm boasting because what I say is simply true.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 12:22:39 AM »
Money isn't everything Anders!

Plus you keep everyones ears happy, that's basically priceless!

Bunni

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 07:54:27 AM »
Welcome,
I wonder if i would make more money if I had an EE degree.
Having an EE degree doesn't give you the years of experience fixing things that I have.

I hope you don't think I'm boasting because what I say is simply true.

Having an EE degree would open you up to more positions, but you love working on audio equipment and you've done it all your life.  I imagine it would be difficult to reproduce 40 some years of knowledge and hands on experience in a few years and some text books.  I think both would make you pretty damn outstanding and would love to see you finish your degree.  Hard to do working like you do, 18 hour days.  We can't keep up this pace forever, and really til the economy tanked, we didn't have to.  I'm all for education, and I have both experience and a degree in my field and not working in it..so it's hard to say.  I'd just like to see you spending a few less hours having to work and a few more to enjoy listening to your own toys.  At least you're in a couple of places now that appreciate you for that experience!  That makes a huge difference!

Bunni

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 07:59:11 AM »

I think if I express this thought to our mortgage company they might disagree...lol 

SunnyDaze

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 10:01:05 AM »

I think if I express this thought to our mortgage company they might disagree...lol

If only audiophiles ran the world... :(