Author Topic: Tamon SE 1000 EQ static issue  (Read 3479 times)

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
Tamon SE 1000 EQ static issue
« on: January 30, 2012, 02:48:31 PM »
I just picked up this eq in a lot of equipment and finally decided to test it out. It's a pretty cool, rare piece. Seems to be well built (heavy) and made in Japan. The problem I am having is it producing static. The static is pretty heavy once the unit is powered on and becomes more and more intermittent as the unit is played. The static can only be heard while music is playing, i.e., when I pause the cd, it's dead silent. Moving the sliders and/or flipping the switches has no effect. The unit is pretty old - I'd guess 70's. The gear that accompanied it were Pioneer sx 950, ct-f9191, PL-530, and a 70's Technics integrated, so I'm assuming it was purchased around the same time. Maybe bad caps due to age?
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Tamon SE 1000 EQ static issue
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 04:13:11 PM »
Ed, may an impedance matching issue? CD players mute when paused.  No signal no noise.  Tried other sources?
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 04:14:39 PM »
Ed, may an impedance matching issue? CD players mute when paused.  No signal no noise.  Tried other sources?

No, I haven't, but I will and post results later.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline TNRabbit

• Audio Geek!
  • WTF are you looking at?
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 05:08:13 PM »
Sounds like a bad solder joint in the line.  Gets hot/expands, it gets less prevalent.
TNRabbit

Carver SD/A-360 CDP feeding  Benchmark DAC-1
Sunfire Theater Grand-IV Processor/Sunfire Cinema Seven Signature Amp
Ashly XR-1001 & Rane PEQ-15s biamping AL-IIIs