Author Topic: Any PC builders here?  (Read 6205 times)

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Any PC builders here?
« on: February 01, 2012, 12:09:22 AM »
I'm looking to throw a few bucks at my current computer as I want a bit more speed (I hang up watching 1080 video) but don't have much of a budget to work with.   I have this board...

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/945P-Neo3.html#/?div=Overview

... with a Pentium D 950 @ 3.4GHz.

I get confused about speed when moving from one processor line to another, but my board lists that it is compatible with an Intel® Core™2 Duo 2.66GHZ Processor E6700 SL9S7.   I have a line on one for just over $50.

Will this be a significant upgrade (or any upgrade at all)?   Will this give me enough power to run HD video smoothly?   Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
Re: Any PC builders here?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 01:59:31 AM »
Here's a head to head comparison of the 2 cpu's. The Core2 seems to be ~35% faster.

Tom's Hardware - Benchmark PCMark 2005 - CPU

This spec is using DDR-800 in the CORE2, and DDR-667 in the Pentium D, so you may not see the same improvements though.
Your MB only Supports up to DDR-667 so you are somewhat limited there.

HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable

Bunni

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 07:59:46 AM »
CPU has to match the bus speed of the motherboard in your case 1066/800, either will work.  How much memory do you have installed?

Other things that can affect choppy playback is a less than stellar internet connection speed if you're streaming video.  Is it the same when watching a DVD?    Got anything running in the background that might be affecting your speed?

Bunni

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 08:03:34 AM »
Also what do you have for a video card, and how much memory is on that?  Might be better to upgrade your video card instead or as well!

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 09:37:38 AM »
CPU has to match the bus speed of the motherboard in your case 1066/800, either will work.  How much memory do you have installed?

Other things that can affect choppy playback is a less than stellar internet connection speed if you're streaming video.  Is it the same when watching a DVD?    Got anything running in the background that might be affecting your speed?

2 gig ram.   I let the video load completely before watching.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 09:38:40 AM »
Also what do you have for a video card, and how much memory is on that?  Might be better to upgrade your video card instead or as well!

Nvidia GeForce 7300 LE @ 512MB

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 10:38:17 AM »
I use the money towards a better video card  and maybe upping the memory to 4gb (assume you are runniing 32 bit Windows)  if watching 1080p is you primary requirement.

Bunni

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 11:37:04 AM »
I agree with OBG, I don't think your CPU is the problem here.

Offline thuffman03

• Zen Master
  • CarverFest Evictee
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 01:47:56 PM »
What OS are you running?  Windows 7, XP, Vista?
Got Carver?

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 06:40:36 PM »
I use the money towards a better video card  and maybe upping the memory to 4gb (assume you are runniing 32 bit Windows)  if watching 1080p is you primary requirement.

I should have said, but yes, I do plan on doubling the memory while I'm in there.   I guess I didn't say that because it seems like such a no brainer now that 2g for it can be had for $30.

I was under the impression that the GeForce 7200 was a pretty good card.   Is that not the case?

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 06:42:15 PM »
What OS are you running?  Windows 7, XP, Vista?

XP Pro SP3

My wife has Vista and I HATE using her computer.   I'm going to be getting her a new laptop with 7 and I am looking forward to checking it out.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 06:46:18 PM »
BTW, watching HD video is not my primary usage, but it is where I am seeing the problem.   I do a lot of sound editing in Au3, and I am hoping that it will also see a speed benefit.

Bunni

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 06:47:19 PM »

I should have said, but yes, I do plan on doubling the memory while I'm in there.   I guess I didn't say that because it seems like such a no brainer now that 2g for it can be had for $30.

I was under the impression that the GeForce 7200 was a pretty good card.   Is that not the case?

For it's time it wasn't bad.  You can probably do better now.  Take a look at the Nvidia site; several series have been put out since the 7000 series.

Vista really isn't bad with the service pack.  Windows 7 is very nice, and what Vista was supposed to be.  I've had no problems with either of them.  If you're going to get extra memory plan to go with Windows 7 64 bit.

Bunni

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 06:55:51 PM »
You can probably go with a better featured ATI card for less money for similar features with Nvidia.  ATI chip sets are cheaper overall.  You could always take this in steps.  Try adding some memory first since that should give you an overall little boost to anything memory intensive.  If it doesn't solve the video problem, start researching a new card.  Again newegg.com is great for comparing features, whether you actually buy from them or not.  You'd be hard pressed to find better prices or service though for the most part.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 07:45:09 PM »
I usually go Newegg for new stuff or eBay for used parts.   Thanks for the advice.