Author Topic: Why do people around here think Bose speakers are so good?  (Read 23301 times)

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
Re: Why do people around here think Bose speakers are so good?
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 07:30:14 AM »
Carver sure do!!! What's up with this Pittsburgh stuff anyway??? You got the Steelers and hockey...you wanna be greedy and have Carver products too??? ;D :P ;D
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline thuffman03

• Zen Master
  • CarverFest Evictee
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2009, 09:13:02 AM »
Carver sure do!!! What's up with this Pittsburgh stuff anyway??? You got the Steelers and hockey...you wanna be greedy and have Carver products too??? ;D :P ;D

Yes!
Got Carver?

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2009, 09:41:10 AM »
How about this to make a pair of 901s sound good? Incorporate an attenuated tweeter on the front baffle to compensate for the roll off at 2k, and design a box with the same shape and throw a 12 in to compensate for the roll off at 100 hz? The box could act as a stand. The soundstage would still be large, but there wouldn't be as much distortion and you would lose the need for the eq. The only drawback would be the creation of a sweet spot for frequencies abobe 2k.
Or just treat them like an overpriced pair of CVs, crank them up, and ignore the shoddy and colored sound.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline treitz3

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2009, 12:06:29 AM »
Someone please enlighten me.
'Cause the are part of the brainwashed, sheeple that believe every GD thing that's on the internet and everything they read in advertising. They probably voted for Obama too.

The very best of what I have heard from BOSE is what I would consider a "white van" set-up.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference.

Offline confused

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2010, 08:50:34 PM »
Hello All,

I hate to admit, but during my misspent youth, I owned several Bose Speakers (901&501 series 1).  The 901's are a pretty good party speaker with enough power, and I actually liked the 501s.  I grew up and my taste changed!

I also heard good things about the original 601, thogh I resent that Amar put Microacoustics out of business as I understand it.  They originally had a speaker much like the 601 (before bose as I remember).

Never liked the newer 01 line up and have not been impressed with their sub-sat combos.

Confessionally yours,

Dale
Dale

-Still Smoking!-

Offline mikey813

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2010, 09:29:28 PM »
I do not know why MajorPain. My dad said they are junk.
True Image CM-2500, Terra Song SS-1, Denon       DCD-1520, Sony CA8es, Kef K140, Definitive Technology DR-7
youtube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Callof813

Offline Colinbgood

• Canadian Prick!!!
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 09:57:59 PM »
I listened to a set of AM-5'S(in a local stereo shop hooked up to a new m1.0t)  cool concept but did not like the sound very much.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 10:14:25 PM by OCCD »
Need more Carver! Comming soon a pair of silver 7t's!

Offline treitz3

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2011, 08:18:53 AM »
Tom, you don't understand Pittsburgh.  Blose and Marantz rule here. The majority of people around here NEVER heard of Carver before.
I'm sorry to hear that.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference.

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2011, 09:49:21 AM »
901's are okay and everything else sucks!
...I'm with Huffman. If they suck so much, how did you get that opinion? Either you bought them because you thought they sounded good, or you just read it and went with the opinion of others never having heard them. I know alot of Carver fans have a pair stuck back somewhere but few will openly admit it.

Offline Bill Cain

• FNG !!!
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2011, 11:27:04 AM »
Several months ago, a friend bought one of the line array / sub combos, for DJ use.  Pure mono, but it suited his purposes as he plays old rockabilly, etc.  He used it one night and returned it the next day; it just wasn't right.  He's still using some old Yamaha's or Peavey's; I really don't know which, but even they sound better than that Bose crap.   ;D

I suspect he'd like a set-up like my smallest mobile system; Klipsch KP-250's w/ KP-115's, juiced by a Macrotech 3600.  I already have lent him a 3600 when his amp shit the bed at a Mattress Factory gig.  Someday he'll get the good stuff.  Another friend has a 250/2115 setup and is positively ecstatic about it.  No Bose for him.  8)  Of course, he's only been DJ'ing since 1964, so he may change his mind.   ???

Bill Cain
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 01:59:27 PM by retsalB retsaM »

Anders

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2011, 12:39:54 PM »
Its Dr. Amar "I'll sue you if you don't like my speakers" Bose

He threatened to sue a reviewer once for giving his speakers a bad review.

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2011, 12:51:13 PM »
Several months ago, a friend bought one of the line array / sub combos, for DJ use.  Pure mono, but it suited his purposes as he plays old rockabilly, etc.  He used it one night and returned it the next day; it just wasn’t right.  He’s still using some old Yamaha’s or Peavey’s; I really don’t know which, but even they sound better than that Bose crap.   ;D

I suspect he’d like a set-up like my smallest mobile system; Klipsch KP-250’s w/ KP-115’s, juiced by a Macrotech 3600.  I already have lent him a 3600 when his amp shit the bed at a Mattress Factory gig.  Someday he’ll get the good stuff.  Another friend has a 250/2115 setup and is positively ecstatic about it.  No Bose for him.  8)  Of course, he's only been DJ'ing since 1964, so he may change his mind.   ???

Bill Cain
...Bill have you ever seen a pair of
901's or heard them?

Offline DJTommyK

• Analog
    • Hi-Fi State of Mind
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2011, 07:32:13 PM »
Someone please enlighten me.
'Cause the are part of the brainwashed, sheeple that believe every GD thing that's on the internet and everything they read in advertising. They probably voted for Obama too.

The very best of what I have heard from BOSE is what I would consider a "white van" set-up.

Hmm...well, I voted for Obama, and I've never owned a pair of Bose speakers in my life, so there goes that theory.  They're not my favorite by any means, but they aren't horrible either in my opinion. 

I don't understand the obsession that some folks have for Cerwin Vega speakers.  Unless you just want to pound the shit out of them, I don't get the attraction.
--------------------------
Hi-Fi State of Mind:
http://mwfccw.blogspot.com/
--------------------------
Pioneer QX-8000
Rega P1
Denon DRW-840
Dokorder 1120
Polk Monitor 7B
Boston Accoustics A-700

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2011, 07:48:26 PM »

I don't understand the obsession that some folks have for Cerwin Vega speakers.  Unless you just want to pound the shit out of them, I don't get the attraction.

+1

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2011, 07:50:03 PM »
Tom, you don't understand Pittsburgh.  Blose and Marantz rule here. The majority of people around here NEVER heard of Carver before.

Is there a problem with Marantz?